Sign in to follow this  
cuske

Anyone know their sciroccos?

Can anyone tell me the difference between a gtx and a gt2?

Apart from the 2 and the x, thanks

from memory,the GTX is the injected 1.8 GTI engine one,and the GT2 is a carb'd 1.8 and should be again from memory only be post 90 reg'd,the GTX came out in 84B and lasted to 90/91

interior is different aswell,also most gt2 had clear back lights,and steel wheels,no red on the grill,

The gtx was the 1.8 injection engine as found in the golf gti and suspesion etc aswell .I had 3 gtx,s all black very nice cars.

can I nip in on this thread, i'm umming and ahhing about one of these to replace my raddo with, are they reliable?..is it basically the same as a mk2 golf?..or are they a bit of a money drainer like the c?

Comparable Scirocco to GT2s was the Scala Injections 1989 - 1990 (there are a fair few J & K platers knocking about but all from the Sept/Dec 1990 production batch). Main difference is the engine. Injection v Carb. Suspension the same, interiors the same, options the same (mainly C/locking & Sunroof if they could be afforded). GT2 has steel wheels in original form, Scala had alloys.

GTX is a higher spec'd Scirocco (1984B to 1987E) with Sunroof, central locking, alloy wheels, tinted glass, voltmeter and some other minor trim additions as standard such as boot liners on the rear inner wheel arches.

The Scala injection that followed the GTX after 1988F was a cut down more basic car to keep the injection selling in the UK as prices were getting close to the Corrado terrotary with a GTX, initially with colour coded interior for one year (1988), then 1989G onwards the last interior style was the same as the GT2.

Last two years of production 1991 - 1992 were all GT2 Carb cars for the UK market. Very last ones, about 300 or 400 were retrofitted with C/locking as standard.

Performance wise the Scala Injection and GTX are the same car. The GT2 is a tad slower but runs out of puff above 4,500 rpm unless the camshaft is changed, the carb substituted for the weber equivalent and a through flow exhasut is fitted. Then the performance is on a par with the GTX.

not a mk 2 but a mk1. ive had 2. a 84 storm and a 88 scala.

engine is a DX from memory in the gtx,gti and scala i models. year change for a scala was 88 when the injection was introduced. i put the storm engine in the scala along with its wiring loom, fuel supply, trim and other fancy bits. the storm was a wreck and had holes in the rear arches. carb engine is a EX i think. dont get a carb one. they are poor in comparison. i think my scala with the better engine would keep with my 65mm pullied G60 till around 80 it was quicker than my c around the twisties between 50 and 80 too. i loved it

to round off it got lifted clean off the floor outside my house and was never seen again.

Comparable Scirocco to GT2s was the Scala Injections 1989 - 1990 (there are a fair few J & K platers knocking about but all from the Sept/Dec 1990 production batch). Main difference is the engine. Injection v Carb. Suspension the same, interiors the same, options the same (mainly C/locking & Sunroof if they could be afforded). GT2 has steel wheels in original form, Scala had alloys.

GTX is a higher spec'd Scirocco (1984B to 1987E) with Sunroof, central locking, alloy wheels, tinted glass, voltmeter and some other minor trim additions as standard such as boot liners on the rear inner wheel arches.

The Scala injection that followed the GTX after 1988F was a cut down more basic car to keep the injection selling in the UK as prices were getting close to the Corrado terrotary with a GTX, initially with colour coded interior for one year (1988), then 1989G onwards the last interior style was the same as the GT2.

Last two years of production 1991 - 1992 were all GT2 Carb cars for the UK market. Very last ones, about 300 or 400 were retrofitted with C/locking as standard.

Performance wise the Scala Injection and GTX are the same car. The GT2 is a tad slower but runs out of puff above 4,500 rpm unless the camshaft is changed, the carb substituted for the weber equivalent and a through flow exhasut is fitted. Then the performance is on a par with the GTX.

Agreed.

They are mk1 based however.

I have had a storm, gt2 and a 1.6gl.....all of which have been MINT. one thing i would say is check for rust under the body kit as they can go there.

Other than that good discs and pads up front should make up for the drums at the back.

Final word of warning. If you lower the car dont go lower than 40mm IMO, i went 60 and the wish bones went / \ and it lead to me hitting a wall as it just lost all its grip.....

can I nip in on this thread, i'm umming and ahhing about one of these to replace my raddo with, are they reliable?..is it basically the same as a mk2 golf?..or are they a bit of a money drainer like the c?

Mr Wales. Of course they are. :) I'm driving a 15 year old J plater daily one just passing 140k miles and I cannot grumble. A couple of times in 14 years it has hiccuped. Of the other 3 I previosly had, none were unreliable. The fuel economy is good. I get 38mpg knocking about and 45 mpg (as much as 50mpg) on the Mway. Parts are specifically Scirocco in some cases but the routine stuff (servicing/brakes/clutch) is based on Goof Mk1 & 2 parts so plenty of stuff still around.

More versitile than the Corrado for daily life but that's not knocking the C in anyway. They are not quite the same car despite being both from Karmann.

Good low milers are still knocking about (40k to 70k). If it drives OK then it's OK, just like a C. They have their weakenesses, common faults are now well known and can be easily sorted.

Would I buy another? Yes. I have one "very new" 20K miler in store when the current one wears out.

Avoid a Mk1 or pre 1985 Mk2. Spares specifically made to the Scirocco design are getting difficult and VW don't stock them any more. Doesn't mean the cars are no good, they still are sound but the hassle of spares for a daily driver needs considering.

Excellent , thanks again RW1, the insurance on a rocco in comparison to a raddo is amazing, I just got a quote for less than half what i pay on the raddo for a gt2

Claret Badger

Alas the 16v rocco was not sold in the uk as it was one seriously quick car.

I own a J plate scala i for my daily drive to and from work and its just great - average about 45 mpg or in metric about 10 miles to a liter so I am clearing 500 miles from a tank.

The injection rocco is faster than the 8v golf as it is lighter and more aerodynamic. Brakes can be a bit vague as you need to podge them a bit to take the slack out of the system in the RHD drive cars.

Rear axle is the same as a mk II and the exhaust will cost you less than £135 to replace both the downpipe and the mid section from VAG.

Great fun to chuck around corners and the 8v engine is based on the K-jet setup.

Only problem I have with them is the complete lack of power steering (was fitted to lhd models so you could probably bodge it on somehow) and the 5th cog on the gearbox is far too short 60 mph = 3k rpm - a lot more than an 8v golf box for some reason.

Biggest bonus' are the massive boot, they are dirt cheap even for a mint one, no-one is going to nick it and they go a lot quicker than most other road users give them credit for.

Alas the 16v rocco was not sold in the uk as it was one seriously quick car.

Yessss, just 10 were officially sold by VW dealers in 1986/7, all LHD. Know of two that were converted to RHD by the owners. 1986 only sales really priced at £12,183 on the road, GTX was £10,757. The production span was 1985 to 1989 elsewhere.

The sports box is 20 - 21 mph per 1,000 rpm while some early Mk2s (carb versions) got the 4+E box which did 24.5 mph per 1,000 rpm. Goof was much the same, ratios varied a little but it boiled down to Sports or 4+E gearbox.

Boot, yeah, read as gaping hole that swallows everything. Moved house with one! No van needed.

Been busy at work, alas, loads of work, hence only can get really going in the evenenings, after my mod-duties on where else but the German Sciroccoforum :-), where I spend far too much time, closely followed by this forum :lol:

Right: Roccos: My personal opinion is that they can be regarded as a wee bit more reliable than an average Rado (my 2 certainly are, and they are 21 and 24 years old, respectively :-) ). Probably due to the fact that they rely on solid tried and tested technology, whereas with the Rado VW/Karmann introduced lots of new concepts, that hadn't really been tried and tested on other models. The Corrado is definitely compared to the Rocco a much more modern car with all the associated problems. More modern means more electronics, more gadgets, all of which are wonderful when they work, but can be pigs to repair when they do go wrong.

Compared to that the Rocco is a simple yet effective car, where due to a lack of all sorts of useless gadgets there is little that can go wrong, and those things that do go wrong can be easily repaired. You also have acres of space inside the engine bay to get working whereas a VR6 engine bay is a sheer nightmare to get into let alone get any tools into.

Mk1s still do it for me as my all-time favourite, but they are very difficult to get hold of without too much rust, not too good for daily use (as they are prone to rusting with the wet British weather), and are also starting to go up in price, as fewer are left, yet they are becoming a well and truly sought after classic 70s car.

Mk2s are dirt cheap on the other hand, and it's unlikely that they will get any cheaper. If you look around a bit, you can't even get a horrible Mk2 Goof for the money you can get a decent Mk2 Rocco for. Exceptions are, of course special editions like the Storm.

Both the Mk1 and Mk2 Rocco are A1 chassis cars, i.e. based on the Mk1 Golf (also designed by Italdesign, incidentally), and hence spare parts shouldn't be too much of a problem.

British spec Roccos varied greatly from German and other country spec cars. For example, all GT2s in Germany were injected, either sporting the 8V JH-code engine or the PL-code 16V engine, both CAT-engines.

Personally I would always take the injected version. For Britain this means the DX-engine, the immediate follow-up to the legendary EG 1.6 GTI engine, that started it all (Bosch K-Jetronic et al). This engine has loads of bottom-end torque (that's why it only had 2 bhp extra compared to the 110 bhp EG-engine, depite it being a 1.8 engine, it was a longer stroke engine), and is still very rev-happy. They are almost indestructible, based on the 827 block developed back in the late 60, early 70s (that is what I mean by solid tried and tested). OK, the G60 also uses an 8V engine based on this block, but the G-Lader as well as all the ancillary electronics (Digifant) can cause serious problems. There is no electronic stuff other than the ignition module on the DX engine, less to go wrong :-)

16V Roccos: Yes, never quite understood why GB didn't get more. In the meantime there are, of course, some more 16V Roccos than the originally imported 10 LHD ones, some have been converted with KR engines taken from Golfs (problem of the intake manifold being the wrong way around, hence need to shuffle everything around in engine bay), some have been imported later on, one of which I helped import from my mate Dirk in Germany (a fully specced Mk2 GT2 PL-engine Rocco with airco, underengine cover, PAS, the lot).

I am actually sometimes looking at a 4th car, folks :lol: Just as a daily basher, as all 3 my current cars are too good for that. Everytime I find myself invariably looking at a Rocco for this purpose again. Why not a Corrado? Too complicated and too expensive to use a daily driver, too many things to go wrong, hence I keep my Rado just for fun, not for daily use :-)

Driving Roccos? Great fun, curvy roads are their main territory :-) Up to certain speeds, I'd prefer a Rocco, but particularly on the motorway at high cruising speeds (from 120 mph onwards), the Roccos tend to lose out in terms of handling, comfort, road and other noises etc. to the Rado. The Rocco chassis was simply not designed for the speeds the Rado is capable of handling effortlessly.

Tempest

Just to add a little peneth, I believe there was also a batch of 6 16v Mk2s converted to RHD by a garage down on South Coast (can't remember the name). I actually had the chance to "sprint" against one at GTi International about 10 years ago when I'd just had my 1.9 engine fitted to the Storm, but he never made it off the line, so never really got the chance to compare :(

I still love the rocco over the Raddo for point to point sprinting, even as a track car, but on long cruises the Raddo wins every time. Also as RW1 says, fuel economy is great on a good one, I usually get 45mpg in the Storm, I've seen over 55mpg 8)

As has already been said, the GTX is a great car, I owned a lovely metallic grey/blue 1988 1.8 GTX for 4 years, in which time it was absolutely bulletproof - I put 50K miles on it without any real problems - wish I could say the same for the VR6!

The brakes are poor in comparison to a modern car (and even the Corrado - awaits flaming :wink: ), but the 8V engine is fairly torquey and easy to live with. You'll also see mpg figures in the mid to high 30s.

My old car, sadly missed :(

frontleft.jpg

GTXside1.jpg

I've been on hols for a week and just caught this.

A few other details and clarifications:

GT2 90 HP carb , GTX - 112 HP inj (as Tempest has already implied)

GTX has a smaller spline '4-button' steering wheel, GT2 has a larger spline wheel similar to that found on the Golf G60.

GTX and Scala Injection have a close-ratio box, the GT2 has a 4+E.

GTX has MFA (as does the Scala Inj - injection engine) and a voltmeter (which Scalas and GTIIs don't) :)

Different paint options for each model:

http://www.cybertects.co.uk/scirocco/pa ... index.html

Other useful Link o' the day - Dr Dub's site

http://website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/

Having owned a GTII and an injection Scala in my time, I'll add my 2p to favouring the injection models over the carbed ones. Both entirely grin-worthy, but the DX has definitely got the edge :D

I have a MK2 as my daily driver. Bought unseen off Ebay for around £1000 - for two reasons, low milage 40K odd and it was only a 1.6GT - needed something "slow" while I got my licence cleaned. :oops:

It's the cheapest and most reliable VW I've ever owned out of 14.

Passed three mot's without any work at all. Broken down twice, fuel filler neck and a split brake hose. Had new front bearings, discs, front shocks, tyres, filler neck and a set of alloys that cost way too much. :roll: Bonnet's faded beyond hope and sunroof seal is knackered but it starts everyday and gets me about without costing an arm and a leg. :D

Scirocco02small.jpg

not wanting to put a dampener on all the positives of scirocco ownership but i owned an 88 F reg GT & it was a total money pit. every common fault rocco's have mine had it, fuel tank replaced, filler neck,faulty pierburg 2e( weber conversion), leaky windscreen seal, new fuel lines, sliding heater control thingy jammed, gearbox problems & generally breaking down all the time! that car cost me a fortune & it never bothered me in the slightest, absolutely loved it! would do it all again but def go for an injected version next time! still look for them when i'm out driving & wish i still had mine, not at the expense of my rado mind! one day when the the gf lets me i'm going to buy a storm or scala & i'll be a very happy camper!

Am I to deduce from this that the gt2 is not worth bothering with?...i'm not looking for speed, just reliablity, thats my main concern. I've seen a gt2 advertissed fairly locally (( 50 miles away )) with 90k miles, f/s/h , all original handbooks etc, 3 owners in silver for oly £750, is it worth having a look?>