Sign in to follow this  
Icegeezer

MY VR6 IS POORLY

Ok recently had my decat pipe fitted and all was good apart from a slight blow

well i took it back on friday to get it sorted and since it come out of garage she is a poorly VR !! :cry:

ok it could just be coincidence but think it could be something that garage has done (sensor in cat maybe?)

well car is a 1993 VR6,

mods,

Pipercross ind kit

cat back system

NEWLY ADDED - SUPERSPRINT DECAT PIPE (with sensor mounting)

ok so it idles but kinda coughs a little,

one you accelerate it splutters and then kicks in, like its misfireing or something

Im not mecanically minded and havnt got a clue where to start or infact what im looking for :oops:

any help to sort this out would be highly appreciated,

I will be putting cat back on to try it but i really need to know whats happening

also if anyone has the diagnostics software around peterborough please get in touch if you are willing to help me out

Thanks everyone in advance

Pete

I had spluttering like that earlier this year before I changed the original leads for new ones which remedied the problem. But now I'm getting misfiring problems when damp which apparently is a faulty coil pack. :(

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

interesting...

it has had new leads recently, uprated one too

is there any wat to test them or for no for sure....

kinda makes sence tho as it seemed like it wasnt fireing on all cylinders...

cheers so far ppl

See if there is any oil in the distributor cap mate.

Sometimes it can get in there and mess things up..

or could be his coil-pack is cracked as 93 is the changeover year from dizzy to CP

I just wonder with taking out the cat whether the lambda probe is in the exhaust or has been damaged or a wire to the probe head is broken. The probe being out and daggling is highly unlikely but....

Does the engine seem as though it is running slightly rich mixture.

I find a little bit unlikely that when fixing the exhaust, the ignition leads have suddenly gone faulty.

Eyeball the probe under the car and see if it's screwed into the cat bypass and secondly check it out on VAG-COM and make sure whenthe engine is warm it is oscillating with values in the range 0.95 - 1.05. If outside these readings or it is frozen on a value, usually 1, it needs looking at for a damaged probe or broken wires at the probe head.

more like its missing

The 00515 fault does that. Chuggs when in that condition.

DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) 00515, Camshaft Position Sensor G40 open cicuit or short to earth.

Common fault on VR6. The unit (CPS) sits in the left (near) side of the engine cylinder head on coil pack cars. It is a Hall Effect Sensor sensing a rotating disc (trigger wheel) on the camshaft. On dizzy VR6 engines, its the usual hall effect sender in the distributor and seems to be more reliable.

Later coil pack engines CPS seem to all fail at some time. It's there to detect the chains jumping the cog teeth, putting the valve gear out of sync. But these sensors also stop working correctly at higher rpms initially. When it happens, the ECU puts the engine into limp home mode by retarding the ignition and the upper rev limit. So the engine feels slightly rough and looses power noticeably. This condition remains until the fault is cleared using diagnostics (a battery disconnect will clear it but the ECU settings are also lost!).

The fault is rectified by obviously changing the CPS but also, the DTC has to be cleared at the same time otherwise the ECU remains in limp home mode until 30 switch-ons have occurred when the ECU wipes the fault automatically. The official 30 I wonder about as my own experience suggests it's more like 50 for stored faults.

You need to do diagnostics to see if it's there. It's one of the fault codes that tells the obvious truths.

How much though in your estimation is it getting drunk by? What mpg are you getting?

What! - you want to be looking for a leak then!!!

Agreed Supercharged.

Check your petrol pipes on the driver's side from the front of the engine and the car underneath. That rate it ain't all going down the engine. There must be a pretrol smell somewhere. (Other than the exhasut)

I doubt if the probe could push it THAT far! But you never know!

There is a very slight weep at the rail connection, which I've advised Ice Geezer sort.

VAG-COM threw up the MAF as being faulty and that was the only code. Intermittant short to ground. O2 activity is fine.

Neither issue is causing the excessive fuel consmuption, but the fact it's running on 5 cylinders might have something to do with it, so he'll be checking the leads, plugs and pack etc.

There is a very slight weep at the rail connection, which I've advised Ice Geezer sort.

:lol: Eyeball it today?? (Or was it known?)

But even so, Kev, it's seems very high even for that set of probs!

I smelt it and could see 'clean' metal just in front of where the pipe joins the rail...it's a classic sign.

I can't say if it was running 5mpg or not, the only significant fault was the misfiring.

Cheers Kev - Nice one for tonight

Checked coil pack and thats all good...

need to check leads/plugs next

and got a maf sorted - cheers again