Sign in to follow this  
keystarG60

Am i causing damage to my Corrado??

The G60 is my second car so it only gets used about twice a week.

Last year i covered about 2750 miles in it.

Whilst it is never used for short journeys (i live in the sticks so the shortist trip out would be 20miles), i'm worried that such low mileage may be bad for the car, especially during the winter.

Will this kind of use keep the engine supple enough?

Thats fine mate - as long as it reguarly used and not for very short journeys...

I'd say you use is spot on for making the car last a long time, just make sure the oil is changed at least every year, brake fluid every 2.

Other things you can do is to not park it with the handbrake it you can help it and go round it with Wd40 once a month to stop stuff seizing up...

The lack of use shouldn't cause a problem to the engine. Your main concern if the car sits unused for long periods are the bushes and suspension rubbers.

I'm only doing 1,200 miles a year in mine and have very little trouble. It's garaged dry. Always runs over 15 miles to dry the exhaust out.

The main deterioration will come from the elements unless you store it away in a dry garage.

Thats fine mate - as long as it reguarly used and not for very short journeys...

I'd say you use is spot on for making the car last a long time, just make sure the oil is changed at least every year, brake fluid every 2.

Other things you can do is to not park it with the handbrake it you can help it and go round it with Wd40 once a month to stop stuff seizing up...

I 2nd that

Thanks dudes.

Yeah it's stored outside but unfortunately there's nothing i can do about that at the mo.

Seems like i'm doing everything that i should be.

Just a little worried about the long periods between drives. It's been nearly 2 weeks since i took it for drive.

Get a battery charger/conditioner too if it sits for a while, you can always roll it back and forth in the garage if you have room to help keep everything nice and free.

Got to agree with the don't use the handbrake option!

Just a little worried about the long periods between drives. It's been nearly 2 weeks since i took it for drive.

Shouldn't have to, as my Rado regularly sits at home exposed to the elements for more than 2 weeks, especially during the winter months. Never had a problem with that, although I do tend to just roll it a wee bit now and then, so the brakes at least won't stick too badly.

A garage is, of course ideal, as I can testify from my 2 Roccos, which are left in their garages for over 5 and 6 months during the winter. A gentle wake-up in spring, and they're alive again :-)

Tempest

make sure u do lots of oil changes my previous owner only did like 2 miles a day and when i got it ended up doing 4 oil changes in a year and the more i did the better it ran

keystar, all this advise is great fro you. All i can do is 2nd everything everyone has said. Ideally we would all keep it in the garage; makes no difference if its used or not in regards to sunlight spoiling.

Infact I'd say your low milage is BRILLIANT. What with you taking it out for a spin every month for a LONG drive, means that the *battery is charged and also importantly is that the joints are moved; ie if the car is stood still for too long the grease & oil can settle to the bottom and bare metal rusts, such as within the ball-joints and wheel hubs etc.

*Battery - is one thing you cannot ignore. Do NOT let it die out, as it does not work like your phone rechargeable battery. Its just like my bike, i leave the battery on trickle charge on the odd day during winter, then come summer, a quick dribble of petrol in the carb and it fires up 1st time.

make sure u do lots of oil changes my previous owner only did like 2 miles a day and when i got it ended up doing 4 oil changes in a year and the more i did the better it ran

Short runs will kill the motor. Typically the Ford Fiesta had bad reputation for the oil going white and cruddy; this wasnt so much the car, more the type of use it would typically have. The moisture build up reacts with the oil and turns white; a good run (over 15mins) will get so Hot that all moisture has gone. The moisture is also a killer to the exhaust system. So yes, change the oil at least once a year and spin it over for more than 10mins.

It's the lack of revs and oil temperature that kill off low use cars quicker than anything else. My mum had a 94 Corolla (the most reliable car in the world?) from new and the engine blew up with just 50K on the clock....due to countless short journeys. Took her 10 years to do that 50K.

The head was lifted and there was, no joke, 3mm of solid carbon build up on all 4 piston crowns and the bores were scratched to hell. There was even valve impressions where they were hitting the carbon, LOL!

If you use it infrequently and in danger of not getting the oil temp up, go a few extra miles and use those revs to the full.

If you use it infrequently and in danger of not getting the oil temp up, go a few extra miles and use those revs to the full.

Woohoo, just the sort of encouragement every C owner needs... :wink: :lol: