Sign in to follow this  
scarlett

engine issue - can anyone help?

right guys... am hoping someone might have an idea whats happening to my C, 2ltr 16v for those that dont know. basically she feels, and sounds, like she is dropping onto 3 cylinders from time to time. I cant find any pattern to it, its not at certain revs or only when cold or anything like that,although she does seem to do it more when ive had a prob starting her, like yesterday when the engine was turing but not catching for a good few seconds before she started.... she feels heavy and sluggish, and the engine sounds like its struggling.... it also feels really lumpy when i am driving.... it can also happen when i am driving for a while then go away and she will feel fine again....

she done this a lot whan i got her, ive had the lambda changed, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm and shes recently had an oil and filter change... and the alternator gave up last weekend and has been replaced (since doing that the lumpy idle issue has gone ???)

had a nightmare drive home last nite from work, didnt go anywhere last night cos i dont trust her not to leave me stranded again, but she was 95% back to norm this morning...

any suggestions.....? am toying with the idea of trying to find another engine thats in better condition and possibly with a history and swapping it into her....

any suggestions.....?

20vt? :D

does the 2.0 16v have a MAF? if so it might be worth checking that out. My only other thoughts are an ECU problem or a dodgy relay. When its lumpy and dropping a cylinder do you hear a 'click' coming from the fusebox area?

no noise that i have noticed... was wondering bout the possibility of it being the ECU though if it was causing probs could it be intermittant?

ignition? electrics? fuelling?

maybe i should just buy a VR.... pfft.......

Might be talking rubbish (for a change), but I'm sure I heard that some distributor cars can suffer wear in the bearings the rotor arm spins on, resulting in problems like this ..

Might be time to change the entire distributor unit (which includes the hall sender).

had thought about that one Dr Mat... though havnt ever done it before and i'm sure ive been told the distributer is expensive... looks like a possibility tho... :roll:

anyone else have any suggestions....?