Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Driving Instructor

I am in the midst of a career crisis. Not wanting to carry on with something I only half enjoy, I have been looking at alternatives.

Does anyone know anything about training to be a driving instructor? there are loads of adds in papers all claiming earn 30k pa and car supplied but it all seems a bit vague.

any thoughts apreciated. Ta.

i've also thought about doing this.................AFAIK you need to part with approx £2-£3k of your own money,from what ive heard LDC/BSM/AA are the best ones to go for

...it's seriously not easy to pass the driving instructors course... a LOT of people think they can do it, but it's suprising how difficult it actually is to get fully qualified...

My mum's best friend is now an instructors instructor and has recently had to fail one of her friends who's been driving for over 25 years with no accidents of convictions... IIRC you only get 2 chances to pass the test, so, if you do go for it, make sure you're utterly committed and you LISTEN to what the instructor tells you and learn from it, else you could find yourself out of pocket...

Also, have a look around your area in the phone book and see how many driving instructors there are... it's quite a competetive area to work in, and you'll find yourself having to work very long hours...

there are a few, but I was thinking along the lines of AA or BSM so you have the strength of a brand before making a reputation for myself.

Didnt think it would be a walk in the park but 2 chances? no pressure then.

chrishill, kind of, only somewhat more difficult with an instructor pretending to be a learner, and a couple more questions... ;)

I considered it myself a few years ago, and then realised that I'm not exactly a highway code following kind of driver and that there's probably no way I'd pass the test! :lol:

Henny, any idea how long the training course might take? (piece of string I know). its just an initial investment of 2.5k would leave me a bit short for a while. and im not selling the Zipmobile.

ZippyVR6, dunno, I just got advised by my mums mate not to do it 'cos she'd fail me! :lol: :oops:

If you're serious about it, give 'em a ring and see what they say... you'll probably find that you're tied in to a contract with them for a few years after you pass the test so they can get their moneys worth out of you, but after that, you can go free-lance and set up your own company which is where the good money comes in... 8)

Good luck with it anyway... 8)

Yeah, good luck with it. Rather you than me - I'd guess you need extreme patience to teach someone to drive. At least you'll get dual control!

Just my couple of pennies,

I know a few ex- instructors , 5 that I can think of off the top of my head, and obviously due to them being "ex" instructors they weren't too fond of it. The problems most of them had with it were mainly down to the fact that the money wasn't that great, due to there being alot of competition in most area's, and things like most pupils neeeding lessons after work or on weekends so you're constantly trying to fit everyone into a small ammount of hours that also happen to be the sort of hours that you really don't want to work. I met the guys while I was a taxi driver, and all of them found that taxi-ing was alot better in most ways and not least financialy.

I suppose it depends what you're looking for, but i'm pretty sure that it's painted out to be alot simpler than it actually is, when they say " you can choose your own working hours" that may be true, but if you only work the hours that you want to work it could be hard to get by.

I'm sure there's people that make good money doing it, but not allways!.

best of luck anyways.