Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Focal or Alpine

Recently bought a set of Alpine SPR-176A's to go into some Audioscape pods. Have now acquired these complete with Focal 165a's for a bargain price.

Which speakers do I keep and which do I sell?????

Personally I'd go for the Focal's fella, but it depends on what speaker combo you prefer the sound of.

I believe the focal speakers you have are highly rated, I believe one mag said they are the best components you can get for under £250, but that was about a year ago... still bound to be good though.

v2's are usually the shit. I got the 130 v2's, but they're chilling in my sleeping room right now, cuz I need to do some custom sheet.

I'd have gone for the Alpines personally as Scanspeak make a lot of Alpine's speakers and they are the mutts. Little known about but rest assured they make some of the best speakers in the world.

The 165as are the bargain basement Focals and pretty pants imo. The woofer cone is floppier than a piece of bog roll, so cone break up at high volume is highly likely.

The V2s are a lot better but the tweeters are too sharp for my liking. I prefer a good quality alloy dome. Cymbals are metal so it makes sense to have a metal tweeter reproducing them ;-)

The V2s are a lot better but the tweeters are too sharp for my liking. I prefer a good quality alloy dome. Cymbals are metal so it makes sense to have a metal tweeter reproducing them ;-)

Gotta agree with Kev here, I have noticed my Focals sound a touch sharp, need to have a fiddle with the settings to see if I can reduce this.

Well you're now in the enviable position of having 2 sets of speakers. Install them both and decide which ones you like the sound of. It's not like you've got some Maystar speakers and some JL's where the decision is already made for you.

..maystar, bring's back memories of my first sub.....must be 10 yrs back.......cant say it lasted long before it broke.

I was always impressed with my focals....130 middle of the range ones..

personal taste,,, some say the focals are harsh on the ears,,, so you cant listen to them for too long at high levels... though quality is better,,, alpine no complaints,, though apparently harder to get a good fit cos they so flippin chunky ... i tihnk...

Agreed, it's all subjective. Focal are by no means shoddy, they're just a tad too bright for my liking, which when partnered with a bright Apine HU can give you a bit of a high frequency bias.

I like a smooth tweeter, and you can't beat a good silk or alloy dome for that.

Gotta agree with Kev here, I have noticed my Focals sound a touch sharp, need to have a fiddle with the settings to see if I can reduce this.

Yes the Focals are a bit bright- I just dulled them down using switch in the passive crossover that came with the components; I read somewhere that it gives a much better result than using the HU- it does take the top end down quite well