Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Smoked Headlights?

Just looking through new pvw magazine and i really like the way the headlights have been smoked on the mint green mk2, does any one know if these are available for the Corrado or is it just diy effort. I was going to have a go on mine but wasnt too sure wether to use the spray tint or tint film that they use for windows. I dont particularly like the spray stuff as its very thin and gives varied results but then again will tint film hod on lights?. opinions please

Can you get some for the back? Ive seen some corrado's on here who have all dark red rear lights, does anyone know how they got this effect?

Parts of the headlight reflect off the chrome reflector, so if you paint these bits black, they'll project as black through the lense if you follow me? Doing it that way maintains performance as you're not actually tinting the 'workings' of the lights. Smoke film would degrade the light output.

I did the 'black out' thing with my fog lights.....black silicon around the edge of the glass and I painted the bulb holder black and they do appear to have a darker look than normal.

I think those MK2 smoked lights have a black grid behind the lense to smoke them out even more....

well, funnily enough I should be able to help out here, seeing as that's my old rallye front end! (and my old dash, I fitted the engine too!).

on those, the internal diffuser has been painted black fromt he back. something the corrad doesn't have so it can't be done i the same way.

I've seen vento lights where they paint the bottom face of the chrome relfector, and the front face (i.e. the bit the bulb doesn't shine off) matt black.

you could try taking the glass off your lights and doing that?

I've tried tinting lenses, it just doesn't work, the tint spray just beads up as it can't stick to the glass.