Sign in to follow this  
Dub_nut_g60

Remote Start

Thought id share with you guys the benefits of the remote start kit from clifford!

Yes know its another gimmick from clifford, but car is still locked and alarm still set while engine is running!

Twas a fantastic thing this morning, dunno bout the rest of you but i cant be doing with deicing/scraping all the windows so i can see! so i just started her up from inside the house, let her run for 10 mins and fully defrosted + oil temp was getting up to a sensible temp so i could take full advantage of the cold air on the way to work!!

Using it in public is a tad sad, sometimes its quite fun when someones getting out a car thats parked next to you! but cold mornings was my main reason for getting it fitted and by jove it works a treat!

Nice idea in this weather, but deeply, deeply inefficient!!

Did you tell your insurance company? I didn't think they'd like that sort of thing.

I was also under the impression that it's actually an offence to leave a car running while it's not under direct control of the driver (i.e. you're not in the driving seat).

tis a down side, doens mean using fuel doing nothing!

Insurance comapny are fine with it, it was all installed by an approved dealer and system still has its Thatcham1 catagory, it has a kill switch on the brake pedal so if someone were to manage to get ina drive off 1. steering lock will interfere and as soon as they touch the brake the engine cuts out! personnaly i think it would be better on the clutch but hey ho!

ive never ehard of that as an offence though! hmmm.... may have to investgate!

My mate used to have this on his old Rado.. I thought it was an absolutely wonderful gadget but not sure if i'll ever get around to getting it added to any of my cars unless they already have a Clifford system on them!

I was also under the impression that it's actually an offence to leave a car running while it's not under direct control of the driver (i.e. you're not in the driving seat).

It is, or at least was about 10 years ago because I got a telling off for it!.

My mate had this system on his Pug TDI years ago, I have to admit it was funny when he would start it up while people were around it, it makes the car look like " Kit " from knightrider!.....

gimmick though.... :wink:

I did a website for a company selling remote-start heaters for vans, simular sort of thing only the engine doesnt start, just a nice big heater system so your van's toasty warm when you get in it. Bit of a big kit for a corrado though.

The 157th Corrado that Andy665 is buying has something like this fitted. There is a big mains type adapter plug nestled in the grille that you just plug in when you get home and put the car in the garage - a pump keeps the coolant and oil system heated and next morning you just disconnect it, hop in, and drive off as the system is fully heated already.

Its a great idea I think.

The 157th Corrado that Andy665 is buying has something like this fitted. There is a big mains type adapter plug nestled in the grille that you just plug in when you get home and put the car in the garage - a pump keeps the coolant and oil system heated and next morning you just disconnect it, hop in, and drive off as the system is fully heated already.

Its a great idea I think.

I thought it was his 3rd? :wink:

That system is used alot in colder climates, some countries have power points outside the houses to plug the car into.

I believe it is an offence to leave the vehicle unattended on a public road with the engine running as I recall a news item, probably last winter, when a chap was prosecuted for warming his car up like that. I remember thinking the police were being a bit anal about it, perhaps they'd prefer him to drive off not being able to see where he's going. Course you'd be ok on your drive.

there is a feature on the toad ai606 to do this i believe but it voids your thatcham certificate. the clown that fitted mine told me about this feature and just as he was gonna do it he told me that it would void the cat1 certificate, so i told him no thanks.

Yeah, ironic that isn't it. You remote start the car so it burns fossil fuel, generating heat and noise and CO2, so that you can run a compressor and cool the car down ..

If you told an alien this was how it worked they'd tell you you're insane! (Just before going "Ack! Ack! Ack!" and shooting you with a green wibbly ray gun..)

Amusing coming from someone who works for a company that builds supercomputer clusters that require the same sort of power as a small neighbourhood does to run ;) :D :D :)

i've had this as well - you can wire numerous circuits into the system and the leccy seats were wired into it and rear demist - i didn't give a stuff about the wasted fuel as i jumped into my warm and cosy defrosted car every icy morning, as everyone else froze, scraping off ice etc...:?

Only downside was a slightly warm bum from the seats and a sweaty crack occassionally ;) but i can live with that

As stated above, Toad do a module but they're difficult to get hold of now as they're frowned upon in manual cars.

Amusing coming from someone who works for a company that builds supercomputer clusters that require the same sort of power as a small neighbourhood does to run ;) :D :D :)

That's intel's fault not ours .. :-p

Our CPUs were 1GHz and using 14 watts .. The IA64s are about 112 watts each at 1.6GHz ..

Anyway, at idle on a cold morning, that 5 minutes while you wait for the engine to warm up a bit uses around a litre of fuel. So about £1 worth then..!

I'd say blaming Intel is as good an option as any.. I much prefer AMD ;)

Anyway.. sorry, sorry.. enough with the OT :D

the clifford system has a safety feature for manuel car, ie you have to exit the car while its still running, lock the car and it all shuts down so no risk of it being in gear.

.. so that 1 litre is capable of delivering about 33 MJ of energy, or 33 MW if you can burn it all one one second. I'd say 33MW would power quite a large town, actually!

And you're using it to give yourself a sweaty crack? Ahem .. ;)

Madness, when you think about it!

(Not for a second saying that I'm a perfect energy consumer. Hell, I wouldn't be driving a bloody VR6 if I was!)

if you fit this module then yes it does invalidate the thatham cat1 technically, only in the sense that it hasnt been evaluated. also blackjax does the same.

from a legal point of view your not allowed to leave your car running on a public highway if your not in full control of your vehicle. well you are in control as its locked and you can turn it off whenever you want and its still alarmed so if anyone opens the door then the car stops and the alarm sounds, perfectly legal, as checked by thames valley police for me when i used to fit them

No probs for me then as my insurers wont recognise my cat one full closure because i cant prove what it is!!

Dub, do you need a clifford to start with or can you buy a nd stand alone remote start system, if that makes sense??

Dr Matt lol on the alien vibe, they would !

AFAIK you can just get the intellistart module without a full system.

To me the cost of the petrol to run it for 10 mins Vs scraping windows and getting into a cold car is worth it!

The opposite, really: a friend of mine in Texas has a silly sized turbo in his MX5 and it has a 'run-on' facility, so after extinguishing the ignition, it runs the engine for a few minutes to ensure the turbo gets time to cool down!

A few giggles when people think you've left your engine running when leaving it in the car park!

if you fit this module then yes it does invalidate the thatham cat1 technically, only in the sense that it hasnt been evaluated. also blackjax does the same.

Gotta love that BlackJaxx is an anti car jacking system