Sign in to follow this  
pacificshack

Knocking noise coming from front

Help!

I'm getting a random knocking noise coming from somewhere up front.

She's had the CV joint done, checked and it's OK.

Strut mounts are fine.

Gearbox has been taken off, stripped and is fine.

Any ideas?

The knocking noise is random, happens in all gears, neutral. Only when the car is moving. I did take the front right wheel off to clean and noticed oil from the CV joint coming out. Will it be this?

Thanks in advance.

all the above and could also be the 'gash' drop link where ARB meets wishbone but, sorry, could be almost anything that has come loose in eng bay/front end.

I had a similar problem with my old 16v it turned out to be the hub second hand hub £15 pounds and all sorted. Hope this helps if not good look

Got a similar problem with my VR, just had front top strut mounts replaced and now I'm getting a clunking noise when turning steering wheel left or right.

Any ideas??

Think it's coming from drivers side and have been told that it may be the strut mount bearing.

How much work is involved in getting to the top strut mount to check bearing???

Cheers

Corrado VR

mosley, welcome to the forum...

The top mounts come as a kit for the VR - rubber dohnut and bearing... either they have been fitted incorrectly or the bearing has failed... either way take it back to where yo got them done, did they use genuine VAG ones??

Finally got her back today after nearly 3 weeks in the garage. The knocking noise turned out to be something with the gearbox. It had a tiny clip which became loose.

Anyway the gearbox has been re-built and back on. The gear stick has more play in it now and it is more of an effort to change gear, is this OK?

She also had a new clutch kit installed too. The chap at the garage tells me the clutch plate is quite big, and is the same as the one from a VR6.

The gear stick has more play in it now and it is more of an effort to change gear, is this OK?

there shouldnt be anymore play and by more of an effort to get in gear do you mean you can feel like a gate before you get it into gear?

maybe the cables need setting up ? The shifter should be set-up so you can pull it back or push it forward without moving it to either side. If the static position is out then you will have to push it forwards while moving it to one side and this makes it hard to shift. You always check the adjustment by making sure it goes into first and reverse very smoothly.

Been driving her a little more now and the gearbox is getting easier to use. My friend who works for VW Parts tells me because it has had the gearbox re-assembled and a new clutch, that the stifness will eventually ease.

Well it is starting too!

Is it possible to tell if there is wear in the arb mounts or top mounts before replacing them? i.e. grabbing something and if there is play replace??