Sign in to follow this  
bristolbaron

water loss and heating problems.

apologies if the answer has already been given, i've tried the search but cant find an exact answer to the problem.

my car is a 92 G60, with early spec slider controls.

the symptoms are:

* loosing water... lots of! light flashes after about 2 days [100-150 miles] and takes about a litre to fill.

* slider very sticky, wont go far enough across to select windscreen heating.

* only cold air comes out on any power or heating setting.

* water temp display on dash stays at about 70 all the time.

oil temp is as normal, 90-100 normal driving, 110 ish at speed.

The carpet in passangers footwell is dry.

Any advise would be helpful, im looking at changing to late spec controls anyway, if they'll fit?

Advice on any other parts needed and other cars they would have come in may help my ebay search!

Thanks,

Baz.

Cold air from heater is probably because of coolant loss causing an air lock in the heater matrix, rather than a problem with the controls etc. Try removing expansion tank cap and top up system (engine off and cold) leave cap off and start engine then turn on heater. Gently increase revs and water level should drop as air is removed from system keep topping up system heater should blow warm when engine warms up, refit cap.

Loss of coolant may be from water pump, may come out as really fine spray when engine is running? Have you tried a new coolant temp switch? Hope this helps

Yes sounds like what happend to my 16v. It took ages to get rid of the air lock but may have been doing it wrong. Also dont force the slider controll i did and it snapped off and i had to take out the whole dash to fix one little cog

:mad:

16vradge, just tried what you said, results were.. err.. interesting?!

Was still full from where i filled up this morning - i did 20 miles today - so started engine with cap off. turned on heater and revved slightly [2-3k].

let oil heat to about 80, water didnt move. got to 90 and it started gargling. then started spitting water a bit. then a lot. turned off engine, and waited a bit. heater inside car stayed cold.

Filled up with water/coolant.. it took 4 litres!

Heater still cold.

Drove around a bit and water level is still the same. so no idea if i've helped or not!

[puts on stupid hat] How do i check the stat? and where is it located?

sciroccotune, there does seem to bit a fiar bit of steam, but unsure if this is just becaouse its very cold atm!

Looks like i may as well buy a new tank cap & coolant temp switch on thursday anyway.

I'm going to steath on sunday, so may find someone there who can point at stuff!

When you say excess steam, do you mean coming from the exhaust like when you breath. As my C seems to push clouds out! Sorry to be thick, but does this signify?

Sounds like my G60 before the heater went pop, I'd get the water put checked first cos i think that starting to fail caused my heater matrix to blow!