Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Audi 80 tdi

Has anyone owned, know what to look for with these cars? Seen a cheap K-plate 1.9TDi locally on 98,000mls. Want the MPG basically and store the C until the summer.

I asked about the service interval on the turbo and the owner has no proof of it ever being done, just that it works very well. Sounds genuine enough but should I be worried? Having never owned a turbo / SC of any description I don't know what to look for. And any other pitfalls with these cars.

Thanks.

Has anyone owned, know what to look for with these cars? Seen a cheap K-plate 1.9TDi locally on 98,000mls. Want the MPG basically and store the C until the summer.

I asked about the service interval on the turbo and the owner has no proof of it ever being done, just that it works very well. Sounds genuine enough but should I be worried? Having never owned a turbo / SC of any description I don't know what to look for. And any other pitfalls with these cars.

Thanks.

Same engine as the equivalent golf etc... should be pretty unburstable, often driven fairly sedately in the Audi's.

Galvanised body, usual Audi build quality (much better on body and trim than VW IMO)

Good workhorses basically, just make sure it passes an emissions test, worth getting it MOT'd before buying if the owner will oblige. Should give you a clue if any pump/injector problems are brewing.

I'd make sure the mileage adds up, they wear so well it's easy to pass off a clocked one.

Budget for a cam belt change if it's been a while, or there's no history. They're a bit wallowy for me on the handling but they do actually stick to the road pretty well.

David.

Apparently it's just had a new MOT, service and cam belt change so should hopefully be quite solid then. Good it's galvanised so any crash / bodged repairs should hopefully be pretty obvious by signs of rust. Do you recon £1200 sounds reasonable? That's ono so should hopefully get it abit cheaper if sound.

Apparently it's just had a new MOT, service and cam belt change so should hopefully be quite solid then. Good it's galvanised so any crash / bodged repairs should hopefully be pretty obvious by signs of rust. Do you recon £1200 sounds reasonable? That's ono so should hopefully get it abit cheaper if sound.

£1200 for a K-plate 80 TDi is a bit steep these days tbh.................especially as just over £1k more gets you into a 80 Cabrio

yeah 1200 is steep my dad has one for sale it needs an mot and whether he gets round to it or not is another matter but he wont want that much for it on a L plate pm me if interested as i could always sort an mot if your interested, hes had it for 4 years and its never missed a beat.

I bought my 150K mile L reg 1.9TD for £600 about a month ago. I'd go for the 90HP version though (1Z engine code I think), and not the 75HP AAZ one as there's a remarkable difference in perfomance and economy. According to my handbook the 90HP one gets 54MPG and the 75HP on 43MPG.

The handling's suprisingly good once you get used to the body roll and the boot will swallow at least 2 bodies. Ticks along nicely, but it won't win any beauty or perfomance prizes. It does cost buttons to run though (even at 38-odd mpg), especially if you can find a local chippy and get their oil...

Galvanised body as mentioned, but it can go around the arches (as mine is). Check the turbo for play on the bearings as well, and if you do get one, let me know if turbo whistle's normal :-)

If you want any photos or info from the owner's handbook let me know.

Cheers,

Tom

i bought 162k mile audi 80 TDI with full history a few years ago (3) from a trader for £2200

i had the 90bhp and its nearly the most reliable car i ever had

700 miles to a tank

mine had a whistly turbo too! so dont worry about that

great car

cant go wrong.

mine was a K plater too - mmmm facelifted version ;)

Hey guys, thought I would resurrect this thread with a few questions.

How much does it cost to fill the tank on the audi 80?

What’s your average mpg guys?

whats the difference with the face lift vesion?

whats the difference with the face lift vesion?

Bigger boot is one of the main things, pre facelift had an aweful boot and access to it, the petrol tank is behind the rear seat rather than under the rear floor, stupid.

bonnet and grille look quite different too.

It's a 66litre tank, so costs about £50 to fill (slightly less if you have a chip fat dealer nearby :-) ). However, the MPG on the AAZ (75hp) sucks the sweat from the balls of a dead man. I get about 40mpg and the official book figure is about 43mpg. The 1Z engine (90hp) returns 54mpg (book figure) and is the better all round by all accounts (like the fact the glow plugs aren't located under the fuel pump...). It's a heavy car though at 1300KGs...

Comfort wise though it's good, and boot is enough to swallow 2 dead bodies with ease :-) I take 3 other people and all of our kit fencing every Wednesdayin comfort, something that never happened in the 'rado (too many complaints from the back seats).

Cheers,

Tom

cheers guys, basically if the raddo gos i want a big comfey car, that does good mpg.audi sounds like a good option. we willl see.

Hows the chip fat working out for you?