Sign in to follow this  
khurrado

Starting Problem

My car has been on the driveway for 4 weeks, w/o petrol, dead battery, little oil, and coolant. I have filled it up now with all of the above, and it wont start. It does turn, but it wont fire up. help, have i killed my car?

changed the battery only few months ago!! as for spar plugs, I pray its as simple as that!!!!! But if got a feeling the c's terminal tis time. :cry:

just tried turning it again, when i turn the key, b4 ignition, i do not here the usual noise of the fuel pump.....which prob explains y it wont fire up. what could this mean?

You may have a problem with your petrol pump????????? Sorry i could'nt be any more help

yeah, can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key?

There have been a few issues with the relay for the fuel pump not working in recent weeks.. it seems certain problems with the Corrado are seasonal!

Not sure which number it is but might be worth finding it on the relay panel, pulling it, cleaning the contacts and popping it back in. Sometimes just reseating it sorts a dodgy relay! :)

btw i am assuming 16v.

Firstly listen to hear if fuel pump is primiing and turning on..... oops didnt see previous post.

Try bleeding your fuel pipes in engine bay . Supposed to self bleeding but sometimes air bubbles will occur. Undo bolt for each one (one at a time) and prime it till fuel is showing (be careful), repeat. once you have done this try again.

If its still not running take a spark plug out connect it to a ht lead (clean the ht lead if poss) and put it out of the way and get someone to keep an eye on it whilst you crank to see if there spark. if no spark check earth lead between coil and engine block, clean dizzy cap try again.

if still no joy doublecheck battery and post more details.

Mine wouldn't start the other week, finally sorted it - after lots of @*@?!, new rotor arm, dizzy cap, petrol and oil it turned out to be a £3 engine earth strap!

The fuel pump starts to prime, and cuts out half way, when i try again it cuts out 1/4 of the way, and by the 4th time, it doesnt prime at all!!!!

There have been a few issues with the relay for the fuel pump not working in recent weeks.. it seems certain problems with the Corrado are seasonal! quote]

Also, it seems that when the fuel filter cuts out whilst priming, it sounds like it clicks around the relay area, so you may be onto something here. Ill have another look now.

I'm pretty sure it'l tell what relay is what on the back of the fuse box cover mate...deffo worth trying that first. I'd suggest changing your fuel filter if it hasn't been done already, it's not an expensive or difficult job and every time iv'e done it on a raddo the filter has been very clogged up.

Don't know if they're all the same, but on my G60 the fuel pump relay is the furthest to the right on the bottom row of relays, grey, number 80.

If you're still struggling, try this. A botch I always find useful.

Take spark plugs out and make sure they are clean, and preferably sparking as described above.

Pour a little petrol into each of the bores (careful not to wash grit etc into engine) by a little I mean about a teaspoon full. Put plugs back in, attach HT leads and try and start engine.

It should catch on the petrol and fire into life for a couple of seconds. If it runs briefly this tells you that the engine electronics are ok and fault is in the fuel system.