Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

ICE, the story so far...

Ok, so invested in some replacment 4x6's for the rears (JBL GTO 6425E) and some replacment 5.25" for the fronts (Alpine SXE-1350S). I already have a Rubicon Lil'wonder 5 amp sitting around....

So the final 2 peices of the puzzle are headunit and sub-box

For the headunit I'm mulling over these right now :-

Alpine 9847R (Good headunit quality wise, but no support for GigaMP3)

JVC DV5101 (Supports GigaMP3 and DVD playback)

Some other cheap ass MP3 headunit with USB/SD card reader

Also, any suggestions on sub box's that will fit without having to resort to the £180 specially fitted one. I love music, but not THAT much.....

i found the halfarts 10" sub box wedged into the early style 'humped' boot very snugly, add a bit of industrial stength velcro (hook side only, attached via the sticky side to the sub box) and it'll not move far.

Hmm, very useful comment.... I was worried about buying a nice sub then finding it rocking it's way across my boot all the time.

I'll head down to Halfauds as soon as I have a spare moment (possible weeks away at this rate)

How much are they ripping you off for them these days ? Anybody know......

Ok, so invested in some replacment 4x6's for the rears (JBL GTO 6425E) and some replacment 5.25" for the fronts (Alpine SXE-1350S). I already have a Rubicon Lil'wonder 5 amp sitting around....

So the final 2 peices of the puzzle are headunit and sub-box

For the headunit I'm mulling over these right now :-

Alpine 9847R (Good headunit quality wise, but no support for GigaMP3)

JVC DV5101 (Supports GigaMP3 and DVD playback)

Some other cheap ass MP3 headunit with USB/SD card reader

Also, any suggestions on sub box's that will fit without having to resort to the £180 specially fitted one. I love music, but not THAT much.....

Get the JVC, my mate has one of the 5101's, though he says get the new version which is the 6101 and has all the bits the 5101 doesnt. He recommends it highly though, and is very happy with his headunit.

my 12" box (oh er!) was about £40 IIRC so i'd think the 10" is £39.95 knowing halfarts :?

Neil G60, thats exactly how mine fitted, i just pushed it back so it was touching the back of the seats :)

Well I was heavily leaning towards the JVC for the DVD mp3 feature...nice to just put in one disk and let it run and run ;) Although I've had an alpine and loved the customisations on it. Very configurable to your car which was nice. Pity about the car it was in, but what the hell ;)

Well if I'm spending £40 on a box without a sub it better be something good. After all I can get a 22.5L one off ebay for about £25 delivered to my door....

I bought an Alpine 9855r a while ago and I love it, but its in my Galaxy "cough", still sounds good though and looks cool as fook..........thats the stereo not the Galaxy :oops:

I'm thinking of making a sub box at some point. The plan in my head is a 13mm MDF front and then shaping the rear with fibregalss to follow the contours on the side of the boot. We'll see though. A car which worked would be good at the moment.

You mean like what Audioscape did months ago?

That'll be fun for you.....and not as easy as you think :-)

A 13mm baffle will make your sub sound like a wet fart..... use something more substantial man!!

Oh I don't think it'll be easy at all. I've had quite a bit of experience in doing installs in general but I've never tackled fibreglass as yet so I'm sure there will be lots of wasted resin and bad language. I'd love to have an Audioscape one but I can't afford the £100+. Perhaps some substantial birch ply might be better for the baffle. Would the Audioscape box accomodate a 12inch Diamond Audio CM3 sub?

Well after much thought (and trying to get some sense from the supplier in Germany) I've opted for a local installer providing me an Alpine 9847R

Headunit (with Aux input cable)

Fitting my 5 channel amp (to power front/rear and sub)

Fitting replacement front and rear speakers (already have these)

Total price £310

I guess that's a good deal, but took me a lot of hunting to find it.....