Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

VDO Centre console gauges

LOL! I would!

So anyone offering any advice on how i connect the unit to the sender and the illume etc etc

The unit doesnt come with any wires btw

Fitted mine today, I only had a single pole sender, but on a valver you don't need to use a T piece, there is a spare hole on the oil cooler blanked by a bolt!

really??

i`ll be off outside tomorrow to have a look 8)

Top to bottom:

Oil pressure

Ignition live

Earth

Dash lights

Haven't got round to wiring mine up yet, still waiting for the sender but Ive test fitted the panel and it doesn't move around even without being bolted in, although I do plan on doing that. You can get a proper 4 pin jobbie from vw but I was just going to use spade connectors.

Having said that though, legend has it that the wiring exists behind the dash and I do remember seeing an unused connector when I pulled my dash to pieces for the heater matrix. May have to see if that is whats its for first...

included a pick of where i assume i need to bolt the 2 pole sender if anyone can confirm.

Position nearest the oil cooler in the picture on the righthand side.

lucky get! how did you do the dash board bit then mate? do you need to make up connectors and drill through the back of the centre consule??

There is a hole in the storage area of the centre console, its at the back on the top. There is a rubber grommet type thing there to run the cables through. I also ordered the multi pin connector and 4 wires as mentioned in RW1's post near the start of this thread.

I'll post a photo on Monday, I'm going to Ireland tomorrow for the weekend.

i`ll be off outside tomorrow to have a look

Yep, as I mentioned before, look on top of the oil cooler where there are two switches, there is a thrid hole blanked by a allen bolt. Had to remove the switch and put it in the blanked hole, then put the sender in the hole the switch came from, because there is more room. I bought my sender brand new in a VW box stamped VDO from Blackman Motors in Kent (01580) 291146 for £17 inluding vat and delivery.

Been off the forum for a while but so glad I spotted this thread. Looked around for one of these console gauges for a couple of years so just ordered one, seems like a bargain! Good work Stan 8)

Thanks for the info guys, will be cracking on with this first thing and will post up a how to with picks for those that follow.

Much apreciated.

so where do i get one of these consoles from? i want one, they look awesome, much better than 52mm's imo! if someone can post the number up it would be great, cheers!

How does the voltmeter work, i take it that it gets its signal from the ignition live wire?

so where do i get one of these consoles from? i want one, they look awesome, much better than 52mm's imo! if someone can post the number up it would be great, cheers!

How does the voltmeter work, i take it that it gets its signal from the ignition live wire?

I know its 8 pages long, but its all in there if you read it.

just wondered how people had got on with wiring this up?

looking through etka it would seem that only some of the cars came with the loom for the gauges.

has anyone found they have the connector built into their stock loom?

if anyone fancies buying a whole new dash loom, there is a specific one for if you have these gauges.... 536 971 052

Got mine wired up by Tim at The Phirm... only took him about an hour and a half - which was a much better option than me having a go and having an electrical fire :lol:

the wiring is really easy! just a bit fiddly

as long as you have a voltmeter to get a swiched live to the gauges your laughing. Feed the live into the guages and an earty then connect the wire from the sender on the engine. Jobs a good un

This has turned into a nightmare for me.Was fixed then wasn't..

My 'Auto Electrician' is having problems with this.The oil lamp/idiot light flashes and alarm sounds after 5mins of driving,but only with driving,not stationary and/or revving.

It seems that he wants the T-piece now(I told him this after reading it on the forum)to fix the problem.

So,a couple of questions please..Can anyone confirm the parts no.for the T-piece please as there is a bit of dubiety over this,between the spark and a geezer at the stealers.I gave the guy at the dealers the part no. mentioned earlier in this thread and he seems to think it's another T-piece I need.

Also,the gauge shows battery voltage as 12-14.Which I think is ok,no?.The oil pressure however is actually off the scale past 10-that can't be right surely?

TheWizardofOdds, What engine do you have, I was lucky on my 16v oil cooler there was a spare hole, so screwed the oil pressure sender straight in without the need for a T-piece, although apparently not all 16vs have this spare hole.

Have a search on here for the oil pressure sender T-piece, when I was sorting mine I found part numbers in other threads for them, and links to web sites to buy them.

...Also,the gauge shows battery voltage as 12-14.Which I think is ok,no?.The oil pressure however is actually off the scale past 10-that can't be right surely?

Are you sure you have a 0-10 bar sender and not a 0-5 bar one?

Are you sure you have a 0-10 bar sender and not a 0-5 bar one?

Yes, that is a good point, plus make sure it is connected correctly, with the sender disconnected it reads off the scale. The highest I ever see on mine is 6 bar which is when the engine is cold.

Thanks for the reply lads.

Phil,I have a VR6.I'll try again for the T-piece,and hope it's the right one.

davidwort,I can't be sure that I have the 0-10 bar sender,as I haven't a clue when it comes to things like this.I did however,get the gauge and sender in a forum buy,so it should be right.

Bumparoo for an old thread :lol:

Does anybody know if these gauges are still available? and how much they go for new/second hand?

Been offered a set by a guy at my college but don't know how much to offer him?

They are RHD and come with sender etc.

Thanks

Andy