Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

VR Majorly down on power

Luckily its not mine, but i have a mate (currently in Germany) who has a 94 VR with problems.

He says it has an intermitent problem where all of a sudden it looses massive amounts of power and will barely rev. From his description it sounds too major to be a cam sensor, as reading other experiences of this it seams fairly subtle compared to this.

He also says it will idle badly when its doing this too, but will still drive, just with no power hardly!

He has had it into a German main dealer today and they charged him 275 euros to tell him the ECU was dead. I think they just vag commed it by the sounds of things, but said they ran it for 2 hours to show up the fault.

They said the ECU was confussed and supplying hardly any fuel and said the part no he needed was 021997258kx

Anyone have any ideas, or know what that part no is??

I suspect its not the ecu, but a sensor/wiring or maf problem!?

Kev :-P :?:

Cheers Rich, i have never seen anyone post this as a problem so i think they are wrong personally. I bet thats a reasonably priced item at the stealers isnt it!!

Cheers Rich, i have never seen anyone post this as a problem so i think they are wrong personally. I bet thats a reasonably priced item at the stealers isnt it!!

If by reasonably you mean 'so horrifically expensive that you pass out', then yes, very reasonable.

Just guessing, but i reckon he'd be better scrapping it than buying that part from the dealer!!

Im going to call him and get some more detailed symtoms, there goes my mobile bill to his mobile bought in holand using in germany! bartsteward!

What are friends and forums for though hey. Poor bloke was on his way home for crimbo too!

Suprised Kev has'nt stunned me with some VR knowledge yet....Mr Heywired?

Guess a better desc will help.

It's not a recognisable part number but 997 suggests a "repair kit" part number. Although it still a little strange for that sort of part.

VR6 ECUs new for the C. are more or less finished stock wise and the price is a hell of a lot higher.

That's definitely the part number given for VR ECUs in ETKA.

It should be fairly easy to find a second-hand one though...

Found it Dom. It's an exchange engine ECU of some sort at £363.26 to you and me.

Hidden amongst service parts for contract hire vehicles.

Thanks for tracking it down.

Would you guys think that sounds right though, going by what he's said about the problem? He doesnt seem to trust what they are saying?

sudden it looses massive amounts of power and will barely rev. From his description it sounds too major to be a cam sensor,

Yeah, too much for that going down. No fault codes makes it hard but I would be interested in eliminating the MAF. Details are too sketchy TBH.

The symptoms sound like the Engine Speed (crank position) sensor (g28)which can be checked for the resistance between pins 1/3. It should be under 1000ohms if I remember correctly.

Jay

500-700 ohms, according to bentley. But I would doubt it's this. Crank sensor probs usually result in a non-running engine, not a badly-running engine..

Nick, sorry mate I must have missed this....

I had exactly the same symptoms as this mate when I was buggering about with my charger kit in the summer.....

To cut a long story short, it was caused by both the MAF *and* the throttle sensors being FUBAR. There was a short in the TPS wire and the MAF was putting B+ down the signal wire....what a way to go! The engine can run OK-ish with one or the other (both is optimal), but not without both, you just get a nasty dip as you open the throttle because all that air is going in, but the ECU has no idea where the throttle is, so doesn't let any fuel in.

TBH mate, I couldn't even drive it when this happened (it was intermittant aswell to make matters worse) because as soon as you try and pull away, it just nose dived.....but as RW1 says, this is just a guess as the details are a bit thin dude :-)

If it was the crank sensor the engine wouldn't even start, so I doubt it's that and yeah it sounds way too severe for a cam sensor.

Just check the crank sensor when its hot and cold. They do result in a non starting engine, but not always. Quite often they are fine until they get hot and then they start to break down and don't give a consitant signal, resulting in poor running. Its just another thing to check before buying a new ECU.

Jay

It depends how many dropped impulses the ECU detects, which will throw an "Implausible signal - intermittant" code. When that happens, the car will randomly not start for over a period of time until it dies completely. Then you'll get a "No signal" fault and it won't start at all. I've never seen poor running caused by a crank sensor, they either give a strong enough pulse or they don't.

No one is suggesting he buy a new ECU yet....

Christ that was nearly 2.5 years ago! Some of what I said back then wasn't quite true. I've learnt a lot more since then.....

Neither of us can prove it either way, so we'll have to agree to disagree.