Sign in to follow this  
ilovemycar

That iridescent paint...

well, my car is silver, but it's got quite a few bits and spots that have been primered (by me!) and it could easily go a respray - I like the silver, but I love that iridescent paint I've seen on a few cars - does this just go over the top of the original paint?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? In an ideal world, it would be a purple tint over the silver, rather than the more copper/bronze ones I've seen.

It's commonly known as flip paint and yes, it does sort of go over the normal paint.

I believe they paint the car, then add the flip colour layer, then laquer over the whole thing - so it needs to be done at the same time as the main paintwork.

I don't think it's cheap though...

No real idea on cost, but at a guess I'd say at least £600 more than a standard re-spray which usually is £1,500 upwards, depending on how much of the prep you do yourself.

And yeah, the Recaros are very comfortable... well they are when you wire them in so you can actually adjust them :oops: :lol:

the car will need a certain colour base coat for the flip paint to take effect,and price depends on where you go,i got quoted £500 to have my old golf respayed,and it would of been a good job done aswell

I think with resprays you can shop around and get massive differences in price and quality of the job, but just because you pay top dollar doesn't mean you get a good job!

Like so many things!

Dinkus, I was just thinking, hmm, £600 quid, well it's quite a bit but still...and then read the "on top of a standard respray if £1,500 upwards.."

Guess I'll be sticking with silver for a little while longer then!!

It's just a guess - I'd phone round a few local places in the yellow pages and get quotes from them. As the guys say, the price and quality of work varies hugely depending on where you go :)

My mk2 golf was done in a 3 stage pearl.

£76 a litre for the paint, and there's 2 paints!

a flat base coat, then a pearl metallic, then clear coat (lacquer)

the idea being that you normally see the base coat, but when you catch it in the light that pics out the metallics, and because they are suspended in a coloured base they shine and give off a different colour.

I paid £2000 for the paint job, way back in 1998.