Sign in to follow this  
timg60

Cleaning engine bay

Having never given any other car as much love as the c, whats the best way to clean the engine bay?

Have had the c for 6 months and have finally decieded that the engine bay is in dire need of a clean! Thought I would pick the coldest time of year to do this and the bay is mingin.

Where do I start? pressure wash bay out or would this do any damage?

Gunk engine degreaser is apparently the way to go. I have a can of this in the garage, haven't used it yet because my engine bay is pretty clean.

Spray the gunk everywhere (avoid electrics), leave it for 5 mins then wash it all off, either with a hose on a light setting (avoid electrics) or with a sponge and cold water.

dont use Gunk it Smells really bad. Have a gander in Halfrauds, there are a few different ones. and give a liberal dose of GT 85 on the electrics afterwards.

i have used gunk on my polo engine bay and it came up a treat. I also really like the smell.

However a couple of people (including rw1) have said that gunk can actually take the shine off paint.

Admittedly I didnt notice this on my polo, but at the end of the day its a polo not a corrado.

I really need to do my bay as I have a load of factory spunk all over it and need to get it off and looking pretty, but am a little wary of gunk now.

Maybe really hot soapy water? This is how I was told to clean alloy wheels by my wheel shop so maybe this would work on 'bays too??

However a couple of people (including rw1) have said that gunk can actually take the shine off paint.

Yeah, Gunk can be pretty sharp stuff in neat form - seem to remember someone saying it should be diluted with water in the less stubborn areas. I ended up using Autoglym's version from Halfords. Very impressed with where it was used. Got the job done and no tarnishing of the black paint. Even softened with little effort, the engine plastic stuff Karmann spray on the engine bay at the factory. About £7 a large squirty bottle full. It should do an engine bay in total.

if you try the search this came up in the summer, recommendation seemed to be for CD2 engine cleaner and detailer [two 500ml cans in a box] from halfords. i bought the pack then... its still in the cupboard!

You can get 5l of hyper clean from wilcos for about £13, you'd need something to spray it with, but its pretty good shyt! :)

CD2 engine cleaner and detailer [two 500ml cans in a box] from halfords. i bought the pack then... its still in the cupboard!

yup me too!