Sign in to follow this  
.Rich.

Which car for girls?

My girlfriend wants a new car but we are finding it hard to find something she actually likes. (less than £4000)

She's not interested in the usual girly crap like Saxo's and 106's and wants something abit more fun.

The only car we have found that she actually likes in her price range is an MGF (but she hates MX-5's).

Anyone got any suggestions? Do your gf's drive anything interesting?

My girlfriend drives a little Ka, and my sister drives a Corsa so I don't think i'll be of much use :)

How about getting a Golf Cabrio? Plenty about in your price range :)

the wifey has had polo's for a while know and i find them great fun to drive and solid as rocks - even more so than golfs and the audi cab but not as good as the 'c'

anyway, thats my VAG pecking order sorted......

dont get a MGF or TF, IMO they're poo. mate of mine had one and while she thought it was the bee's knees, i thought it had nasty plastic build quality, things kept breaking, gearbox was notchy as hell and the ride was harder than my rado. They have alot of problems with catastrophic head gasket failures (much like the lotus elise which has the same engine) and above all else... i dont like em ;)

mx-5 is a much much better option, show her a yellow one, she'll love it.

what about an old shape mr2? not sure if the targa-tops are all imports (i know the turbos are) but its an option if she really wants a convertible. failing that, dare I suggest a fiat barchetta?

Well my wife wants a Corrado of her own now 8)

But with steel wheels so (in her words) "I don't have to worry about kerbs" :roll: :roll: :roll:

Funnily enough I was watching a Top Gear review from 1990 about the 'new shape' MR2's and Celica GT4's - the T bar / targa style was discussed and from what a very young Tiff was saying, i'd say there were available over here from the dealers and not just on import.

You could get a nice Mk3 Golf colour concept GTI for that!

A mk3 Golf GTI with nice leather interior or funky cloth interior.

She could probably get a Golf VR6 Highline also... then you can use it also!

I think at 20 years old, a Golf Highline is going to nail him & his girlfriend on insurance!

Thanks for the feedback, i was already pretty dubious about the headgaskets after seeing like 4-5 cars on ebay saying "brand new head gasket" and they had all done like 30-70k, very worrying.

The MX5 certainly looks a much more robust car and probably cheaper to maintain, but she goes by looks (despite me being no looker).

have you noticed the roads going the wrong way in that advert as if they're reversing? anyway, thats OT.

I dont think she'll enjoy the MGF really, they're not an easy day-to-day drive, although in their favour they do handle pretty well in comparison to other cars in the price range, just not in comparision to other cars in their class.

...i'm sure i read somewhere that the handling is shabby???? i quite like the newere style one and thought about one for the wife but resisted due to general bad press they get.

yeah as i say, in comparison to other cars in their class they're not good on the handling front, but in comparison to say, a 4k corsa, they're tip-top! I found it just didnt offer me the feedback i wanted and was generally a little indirect. certainly not confidence inspiring enough to have any rear-wheel-drive fun.

I really don't think (and no offence intended here btw) that a 19 year old girl is going to be particularly worried about potentially slightly lardy handling on a car! I can't imagine she's had the experience driving higher and more performance oriented marques to even have something to compare it against, apart from perhaps Rich's Corrado! :)

For record, my mate has an MGF and its a great car! Well, ok, the cambelt DID break on it and he had to have an engine rebuild but apart from that its been great! And the handling is far from lardy.. they are a real riot! :)

I really don't think (and no offence intended here btw) that a 19 year old girl is going to be particularly worried about potentially slightly lardy handling on a car!

fair point jim ;) but I still say the MX-5 is better on all counts.

old Mr2s are almost as much of a liability as Rados, My bet if she is looking for something a bit fun, would be a ford Puma different to the saxo, corshair but still a shopping trolly type motor.

She likes MGF and doesnt like MX-5?

She does not know much about cars then? :wink:

Sorry! A bit cheeky. That is what I always say to my wife or friends when they say so-and-so has a Fiat.

Polo 6n 1.4 open air.

Good compromise. Cheep insurance, Almost a convertable, Nippy, sticks to the road like glue once you have put some decent alloys on it and lowered it 50mm and really good for parts.

Not that I had one whilst saving no claims for my c.

The gf still hasnt forgiven me for selling it.