Sign in to follow this  
chrisw

What disks do people recommend for the 288mm setup

Just picked up a 288mm caliper setup on ebay for £62 including delivery.Came with pads came but no disks. I think I will get some Pagid FR and some braided hoses as everyone seems to recommend.

I'm not sure what disks to get though: VAG, GSF or aftermarket ones? Can someone just confirm what braided hoses I need as well. The brakes are off a P reg Golf VR6 and I have a late model vr6.

Chris

The brembo ones from GSF are only about a tenner more than the standard ones. Not sure if they are any better but for a tenner a disc I would go for the brand.

never had problems with the zinnermann and pagid fast road pads setup from GSF

Yea me too, had a good thrashing on track too, no signs of warpage, just a lot of dust! :D

I have ATE Powerdiscs (grooved), with standard pads. They work well enough, no fade, reasonable bite.

BUT, they are very noticeably noisy when being used hard, a sort of rumbling groan. Which reminds me, I must call the wife........

Best wishes

RB

BUT, they are very noticeably noisy when being used hard, a sort of rumbling groan. Which reminds me, I must call the wife........

I just spat tea over my monitor! :lol:

Personal preference is VAG disks and Pagid Fast Road pads. They work well together, aren't too expensive and look standard. The Pagid pads do make quite a bit of dust, but it washes off pretty easily.

The current Zimmerframes are a lot better than a few years ago. Nelson Wetberry has some Zimmerframe 312s (cross dressed) on his car and they do actually look rather good. They've dropped the silly radial groove idea at last and just got on with some decent holes..... they've not warped yet either, which is a miracle where Wetberry is concerned.

Might look into a set when my VAG ones are worn/warped/snapped in half....

Cross-dressed - lol

The drilled zimmermans that I took off the TDI the other week were completly fuct, in 2 years and less than 30k miles they were worn well below the wear limit and the also cost 50% more than the VAG ones I relaced them with... I won't be using them again!

Wetberry indeed! ;)

I never really got a chance to bed them in before I sold the car to be honest, but the bite though the pedal was deinfately much better.

never had problems with the zinnermann and pagid fast road pads setup from GSF

Yea me too, had a good thrashing on track too, no signs of warpage, just a lot of dust! :D

yes too much dust mate but they stop skip free

I was thinking about brake disks over the weekend after ogling some rather monsterous brakes on a Porker...

The holes are there to...

Disperse heat (airflow through the disk)

Keep the pad surface clean

Expel gases that build up under heavy, prolonged braking

Look pretty

Now, all of these are only really issues if you use your brakes very hard, very often, which I'd imagine most of us don't.

But having the holes in the disk also reduces the friction area and the amount of heat that the disk can absorb as well. This is even more so on the Zimmerframe disks that seem to have very large holes relative to the size of the brake disk. I haven't counted, but you must get at least 4 or 5 holes under the pad at any one time and each one is 3mm diameter? Hmm.

Just a thought.

Oh and the holes seem to fill up with brake dust pretty quickly too... :(