Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

How vital is this hose?

I've just got my wife's Golf ( digifant Gti ) back after some engine work and I noticed that the air hose that runs out the back of the air filter box is missing.It was in a terrible state anyway( it was made of cloth I think ) and I was looking to replace it.

The car seems to drive ok without it, so what's it's function and should I make it a priority to replce.

Cheers Alan.

dunno precisely which hose you mean mate...but I would suggest you replace it if it was there and now it's not?...that's just what I would do though. :D

sounds like the hot air hose that comes from the exhaust manifold area,wont do any harm to leave it off,infact i took the one off my old golf and blocked the hole up

I've learned that it's the cold running air hose and that you can buy something that'll fit from Halfords thus avoiding stealer prices.

On the subject of this car; the cooling system's been drained and refilled( new radiator )and now water is leaking out of the expansion bottle cap. I've been advised that its been overfilled( it was a couple of centimetres above the max when cold )and that the system will "find its own level" after being run for a while. Is this the case?

Alan.

It sounds like one of the small bore cloth covered rubber tubes that run to the vacuum advance on the distributor or to the various other controls on the inlet system.

You can buy this stuff by the metre for a few pennies. It's worth replacing all of these tubes.

Best wishes

RB

On the subject of this car; the cooling system's been drained and refilled( new radiator )and now water is leaking out of the expansion bottle cap. I've been advised that its been overfilled( it was a couple of centimetres above the max when cold )and that the system will "find its own level" after being run for a while. Is this the case?

Alan.

Might be overfilled and will settle down when air bubbles in system displaced, Alan.

Worst case scenario could be cylinder head gasket leak. This was one of the symptoms when that happened to one of our Polos. Coolant in reservoir appears to be boiling, in that case, too (engine hot and running). There are other symptoms, also, like water droplets apparent on oil dipstick/oil globules in coolant in reservoir/coolant loss/lots of steam in exhaust fumes.

The car's just come back from having the head gasket changed.It's had a new oil cooler and header tank fitted at the same time.I'm sure I'd heard something in the past about the system taking a while to settle down after draining and refilling.

There's no undue pressure in the cooling system and no sign of an oil/water interface.

Alan