Sign in to follow this  
Leavon

Locking nuts again(!) (sorted now)

I've had a propper bummer of a day, I travelled the hundred miles to where my car is stored to find that the impact tool that I bought to get the locking wheel nuts off didn't fit. I tried to make a key by cutting up a 17mm socket with an angle grinder but I couldn't get an accurate fit, it wouldn't budge even with an impact driver and an air gun.

I can't drive the car to a garage cause it's not MOTed or taxed, and I can't MOT it cause I can't get the new wheels on the car! Goddamn.

Anyway, I took a crap photo with my mobile if anybody recognises the locking nut could they let me know what make it is, getting desperate now.

Ummm, no. Didn't think that would work. The nut seems to be on very tight, would a banged on socket grip under a lot of torque?

Use an impact socket and you should get it to grip on! In theory the locking nuts shouldn't be done up to tight as your not supposed to tighten them right up - but chances are...................

However once socket is hemmer on should be fine! Thats what I did last time some idiot at a tyre place used an airgun to do my lockers up so that the key sheared when I tried to undo them!

I tried an impact driver today but not with a hammered on nut, wish I'd had net access up there, s'gonna be another week before I can get up there, this definitely sounds like the way to go.

I've got the Laser tool and it doesn't fit.

They look the same as my lock nuts, but I couldn't tell you for the life of me what make they are.

We had a similar problem in work where we had to get the wheels of one of a limo to fit the new suspension but the nut lock key was missing, we ended up using a tool which was basically a reverse threaded socket which fitted over the end of the lock nut, using an air gun going anti-closkwise "tightened" the tool onto the lock nut and then in turn loosened the lock nut. took minutes to do in the end.

i have the the same locking nut as those i think arent they mcguard ones? Anyway i was in the same situation with my corrado a mate took them of with a socket and strong arm so you can get good leverage to get the locking nut loose in one go.

i had these i hammered a smaller socket onto the middle round bit use a spline socket and a breaker bar and they came right off.

If they are Mcguard, give em a call on 0808 156 3675, they were super helpfull when my locking nut key warped and sent me a new one free of charge withot needing any paperwork, They may be able to help you if you are able to take a clearer digital shot of the nut and they can work out whick key fits them.

Best of luck

They look v. similar to ones I got off my car by pounding a quality 12 point socket on. A bit worrying for the axles, hub etc. but it worked a treat. I spent ages messing about trying to grind a socket to shape but even when it looked perfect it had no purchase at all. I think the lozenges had chamfered edges to prevent this. Get your hammer out and take out your frustration! (you will probably need 4 sockets for this)

Chris

ook like the ones i got in Halfords, don't recall the name as Astrali though, maybe Halfords could help?

Halfords used to use the Astrali ones as they're own brand, they not just sell McGaurd.

Thanks for the replies fellas, turns out that the garage where the car was going to be MOT'ed were able to get the wheels off, don't know how (don't really care) so it went in for MOT on friday and passed!!! I am one super happy bunny, wasn't able to get up to Yorkshire this weekend so I get it back next saturday. I'm counting the minutes, bit nervous actually not having been behind the wheel in a year. I'm sure I'll be fine.

Hi,

Sorry to update this but am having a nightmare also.

I have some OZ Superleggera on my C, and used a set of McGard standard locking bolts to keep them safe.

However, it appears after a series of airguns at garages etc and probably some off square tightening and untightening over the last year or so by me, the end of the locking nut broke off. Thanks.

The McGard bolts are hardened steel and the bolt appears to be seized in as well - not sure if this would have anything to do with me living by the sea.

Anywho, I unfortunately let someone at KF have a go with an air chisel and that mungled the bolt. However, I then got my dad to try and drill the bolt out and that buggered two bits and got nowhere. Then he tried an angle grinder and finally broked a chisel trying to hammer it off. He also smashed a socket over the top which gripped but could not get it to move and eventually came off.

Good steel.

My pa has suggested a could a hole around the bolt in my alloy, take me alloy off then would have significantly more bolt to grip, saw or whatever. This is feasible but obviously bye bye alloy. I have a fifth, but, well, i don't want to lose my fourth, especially since i curbed my third massively just after xmas - doh.

Has anyone successfully drilled or somehow removed McGard bolts from their hub? What drill speed/drill bit materials did you use or other gubbins.

How about some Plusgas (if it is seized) or some Carbon Dioxide to freeze it Terminator 2 stylee!??!!

DF.

Soon to have 3 wheels on my wagon.

Try giving Mcguard a call. Dont know if they can be any help as things seem fairly terminal but you never know. 0808 156 3675.

Thanks. Just rang em.

Very helpful. Well, hopefully.

They sending me a "drill out kit" and some new bolts. You need the code you got with the bolts.

Hopefully this will work. I asked what would happen if it didn't. He assured me it would.

If it should work, I think i'll be using my lock bolts sparingly in future, replacing them with normal bolts prior to sending it anywhere with a airgun.

Good customer service. Pity the bolts broke though.

DF.