Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Run'n Slicks

Does anyone here run with slicks for track days?

Just wondering what’s the general opinions are with slicks what’s the best compound to go with. The name of a decent place that sells them? Which ones best suit the corrado?

If you're going to run slicks, make sure you've got a baffled sump at the very least otherwise you'll get oil starvation and a very unhappy engine.

would you mind explaining that in detail, can't see why slicks would make a difference

thanks

would you mind explaining that in detail, can't see why slicks would make a difference

thanks

basically vw's with std tyres generate enough g's when cornering that the oil ends up too far away from the oil pump pick up so you get starvation. when you add slicks the problem (stickier rubber = more g's (from the faster corner speeds) thats why you run them) is amplified thus requiring a baffled sump which prevents the oil moving around so quickly.

That makes sense, but what do you mean by “baffled sump”, and is this common for other cars or just a flaw the vr6 had (or still has). One last question, I’m assuming the pickup is at the bottom of the oil pan, and if it is would it be a good idea to take it off and fix the flaw?

I appreciate any info you can give me.

no its a flaw most production cars have do a google image search for baffled sump it may have another name in the states and ca. buts its basically an oil sump with channels to prevent the oil from sloshing around.

id say thats not the most important point. id look at transmission, shafts cv's etc. thats where the load goes. slosh is slosh but this happens anyway. if yoy are cornering at speed and grip still, like most of us do, theres slosh.

slicks on our cars may be best left for the qartermile where we need them most. to fix slosh etc get baffles and a windage tray from a tdi.

slicks on our cars may be best left for the qartermile where we need them most.

not at all they help you go round corners faster which is the name of the game!

I run Yokohama Advan Slicks on track, well i did till i killed one of them.

Only run slicks on the front too

the put a huge load on cv's, gearbox and bushes, but i think they are worth it as a set of slicks will do ususally a season of track days where as road tyres get killed quite easily.

As Dinkus says they can cause oil surge which is not good for your bottom end barings or any of the engine.

I have done a fair few track days in different cars and feel that a porperly setup car, not properly set up for road, will be quick, slicks will make the braking, accelerating and cornering.

A shrick baffled sump is a good investment and a mk2 diesel windage tray too.

I know slicks are hard on the car, and Im aware of the the issue of the sloshing. I was/am asking about the different types of slicks people use and any good places to get them.

Perhaps people can give an insight into these Maxsports or remoulds road legal slicks some people use or the Michelin Exaltos.

Thanks Rich I’ve heard you mention those yokos before they seemed decent for the occasional track use.