Sign in to follow this  
jenks

Coil pack?

Cars is running like a bag of cr@p, sumtimes she misfires especially when lower down in the revs, changed leads and spark plugs, but still no difference so im gathering its the coil, now do i run a coil pack or dizzy? im sure its a coil pack,just want to double check!

And how hard a job to replace?

Also could it be anything else?

Cheers

I'd make sure you're sitting down before they tell you how much a coil pack is too... :(

Check out the first reply ;)

All the words Dink!!!! :lol:

Yeah exactly! fixed the prob though,not the coil!

So just bonnet catch,heater matrix,aux belt tensioner,heater controls...........................................

Yeah exactly! fixed the prob though,not the coil!

So just bonnet catch,heater matrix,aux belt tensioner,heater controls...........................................

Welcome to Corrado ownership :lol:

At least, jenks, your failures appear to mostly be the familiar ones. Coil packs are bad design - the great heat they absorb from the big engine means the plasticky components become degraded in a relatively short time. Extortionate replacement cost from VAG - get a quote from somebody like ECP or GSF. My ECP quote beat the gsf one mentioned above.

Ive said this before -

the bonnet catch/cable goes regularly because people have to keep overusing the damnt thing to peer into the engine compartment as yet another problem arises.

These cars are at least 10 years old now and can be expected to fail from time to time (or every other day depending on how lucky you are or how careful the previous owner(s) has/have been.)

Poor show by VW, though, many other cars can still be mainly trouble free after 12-15 years of average use. My Pug 205 (reg jan 1990) for one.

Ha! Ive had to replace the coilpack, heater matrix and belt tensioner in the past three months too! Damn vw, make a sweet ass car and then engineer all the parts to expire at the same time! As said before, coilpacks are liable to cracking and letting moisture in resulting in poor running, especially when wet/cold. Take the coilpack off and have a look for cracks. Its only four bolts, 5mm allan key is all you need.