Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

oh dear??? i seem to have read the full 30 pages three times in the last 2 days :) i need to make my mind up where i'm going next with my car. so who lives closest to birmingham with an R32 corrado thats running :)

karl

Make sure you go out in an R32, the 2.8 24v 4motion is good..... but from what i hear the R32 (on the right management) will provide around 280bhp :lol: I have extensivly looked into this (as thats where im going next) and have had a price of £1500 for a 06 plate R32 engine (MK5's have stronger internals apparently) which i think was very reasonable especially considering it has only done 20k.

If you keep your V1 Karl, you will be around 350bhp :shock:

I have extensivly looked into this (as thats where im going next) and have had a price of £1500 for a 06 plate R32 engine (MK5's have stronger internals apparently) which i think was very reasonable especially considering it has only done 20k.

that is a really good price! Can anyone confirm that the internals are stronger in the mk5 than the mk4 R32?

If you keep your V1 Karl, you will be around 350bhp :shock:

Excellent! but will the car not become undrivable? whats the most that you can really put the front wheels of the corrado? I am almost finished with my conversion but also made a little bit of room for a rotrex, I have already worked out where all the piping will go but I want to make sure the engine is running perfectly before I go charging it.

i believe that an R32 with emerald is good for approx 300bhp :) this is the reason i'm going this route 300bhp N/A, i love my charger but its just that it has never ran 100%. and if i want more power with the R32?? then i can do it on a much newer engine, and the stand alone ECU will be there. it also helps as i already have an R32 engine/loom in the garage. i will be calling storm though about there plug n play option though.

I'm sure Dinkus has researched the R36 and mkv R32 engines and I'm sure he said the mkv R32 is the same size as the R36, i.e. a lot higher than the mkiv R32 due to the narrower angle V on these engines. I could be wrong though, but if true I think you'll have issues installing one into a Corrado due to the height restrictions.

Dutch

bigpantsbaby AKA carl, are you serious about selling your car mate?? if you are 100% serious. send me a pm with what you are looking for (money wise)

cheers

karl.

oh shite, i could be really in the dog house with the missus (again) :lol:

bigpantsbaby AKA carl, are you serious about selling your car mate?? if you are 100% serious. send me a pm with what you are looking for (money wise)

cheers

karl.

oh ****, i could be really in the dog house with the missus (again) :lol:

Emailed you chap

mine is running (r32 chipped, cams, and 4wd)

unfortunately i am still working on the brakes, and it has no interior, so I can only sit and rev it up in my garage at the moment.

should be done for christmas.

a few tuning companies claim a 300bhp package for the r32 consisting of cams, air filters, sports exhausts complete with high flow cats, all topped off with a remap.

my engine is basically that spec but has the edition of not running cats at all so it should fly!

not heard a single thing about the mkv r32 internals being stronger than the mk4 lumps. sounds like hoss sh1t to me to be honest. they dont break, so why spend money uprating them?

stay tuned - should be done around christmas.....ish

hi,i'm new to this forum got a question recently got my 3.2 24v corrado on the road,does anyone know where to get a can-bus signal converter for tacho i want to stick with standard dash panel,any help with this would be a result,thanks in advance,

Yes I had the same issues. It turned out to be the clocks were knackered due to the splicing/soldering and a lot of interference getting into the wires due to there not being enough insulation. I ended up having new clocks, but they are still the original Corrado clocks.

Also, get it on vag-com and see if you have a gearbox speed sensor fault (I think its something like that). If so then you have the same issues that I did whereby my revs would not pass 5k. It worked out that there needed to be a signal from the gearbox for the road speed, feeding into the ecu, then into the clocks.

I was speaking to Andy about it on the weekend, as he's just done another 24v conversion for John-M on here, and he has the same issues. He also has a Storm in at the moment, which is also having a 24v conversion!!!! :shock: Its getting rather popular!!!

Apparently it all comes down to whether you originally had a dizzy vr or a coil pack one.

the later coil pack stuff is fine, the earlier dizzy stuff, is not.....allegedly....;)

Well mine is/was a '94 VR with Coil Pack, but it still doesn't work properly :(

I may give Andy a call then. Will try my clocks on another VR too if I can find one and will also check the wiring from the speed sender to the ECU and from there to the clocks.

Dutch

Anyone know if the speed sensor in the o2a box is the same as the one in the 02m?

Are you running the C clocks Ian?

Dutch

turns out I also seem to be suffering from eratic rev counter, only just connected it this evening funny thing is I had labeled the loom before fitting and had decieded it was vehicle speed because dash to engine ecu coms. is can-bus, good result because i was getting bored of rev limiter,still at least i can get on with better things like paint and leather,and on that one does anyone know where to get a seat cover kit that is worth having most interiors on ebay seem overpriced and worn out.ps my car is a k plate and did have a dizzy looks like i will be hunting down later ones,cheers,

Anyone know if the speed sensor in the o2a box is the same as the one in the 02m?

Are you running the C clocks Ian?

Dutch

Tis a 3 pin one,but different connection

Well it seems I have misunderstood a few things.

The gearbox speed sender is just that, a speed sender for the speedometer/spoiler etc. The rev counter get it's signal direct from the ECU, which in turn gets it's rpm signal from the G28 sender on the front right of the block. The 24v ecu rpm signal is compatible with the C clocks too so no problems there. The earth wire to this 3 pin sender must also act as a shield for the other 2 wires to reduce interference. The guys on vortex reckon this earth is my problem, so I will have a look how it's connected and what the shielding is like over the weekend.

After a while or so of driving she goes into limp mode too, but this could also be due to this bad earth as it's also an earth for some other engine sensors, like the CPS. If this sensor is intermittent the ECU will go into limp mode to prevent damage. If I disconnect the battery then all is fine and she absolutely flies until going into limp mode again :(

Hopefully I can solve these last niggling issues and start enjoying 24valvness soon.

Dutch

you will get there mate.

btw yes I am using corrado clocks.

have you got vagcom? if you are going into limp mode then you will definately need it to see what the problem is, otherwise you could be on for ages!

Yeah she's almost there. Mechanically it's all done, just these little electrical gremlins to sort.

So do you have fluctuations too? :)

I have vag-com but no diagnostic port at the moment. I'm going to plug that in at the wekend too after checking the k-line wiring and re-routing the earth.

Dutch

Do you have a diagnostics port? I have found a spare one if you need it, I can send it over for you.

Actually you can help me out here, I cant remember which wire the rev counter wire is from the corrado clocks. If i remember correctly I had 2 wires spliced into the clocks loom, the speed and the rev counter, I cant remember which one the rev counter wire is. If you could let me know that would be great mate.

I will tell you if I am getting fluctuations when I have wired it up. But I certainly wasnt getting flactulance with the 2.8 setup in the yellow car.

lol :)

Thanks mate but I have the original diagnostics port from my Corrado so will use that.

I cannot see any wires spliced into the clocks loom as I've checked before. I'm also using my original clocks loom, not the one you sent with the engine, so I'm curious how these signals get there too :) I will have a look tomorrow and let you know.

The rpm signal should come from pin 9 of the orange 10-pin connector according to the guys on vortex. I'll have look at my wiring diagrams when I check mine to confirm.

Dutch

hmm, i would have thought the rpm signal would go into one of the white engine connectors?

if you could find out where it goes for definate and possibly send me the diagrams that would be great mate.

you are a star :)

edit: yes just found your thread on vortex. the orange 9 pin connector is the the rpm signal from the 24v. i know that bit, what I cant remember is, where it actually goes in the corrado fuseboard. If you could trace that for me that would be great