Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Hi Karl, Get Elsa from fleabay for Audi and VW, has all the wiring diagrams in there :-), along with a lot more....If you look earlier on this thread I've written a pin out configuration for the ECU but don't use it as gospel.

Craig, the loom you need to send off to splice is the one with all the coloured multi-pin plugs on that passes through the donor cars bulkhead (I think that's the bottom diagram), you'll also need to send them a VR loom where it plugs into the fusebox for them to splice it to.

Storm told me they used OBDII throttle bodies for 24v conversions? Perhaps thats just for the 2.8's though? Dont know.

I wonder if there's much difference between the 2.8 and 3.2 looms?

Some handy wiring diagrams here..

Im not sure how much of the loom i may be missing so may have to build it back up. Is it a case of buying bits from VW or can someone suggest someone who can supply the bits at a sensible price??

Are all the 2.8's dbw? Think some may not be, I'm not sure why peeps do away with the dbw and go for an Alfa tb/ other solutions.

:( Had a call this morning... No spark at the plugs. New coil pack tried and still no joy. Going to try a new cam and crank position sensor tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Bit gutted to be honest, was really expecting to be out in it tonight. Ah well.

Chris, I think some people believe the throttle reponse of a cable throttle is better.. Plus it saves fitting a DBW pedal, not thats its a big deal.

does anyone know if it possible to use the MoTec system with 24v engine? I am sure it is possible as it is just a computer, but I just want to know if it has been used or done before.

Cheers.

I guess no one knows the answer to that, LOL. Reason was a garage told me due to the 3.2 being a FSI (direct injected) engine it would not work. Or are they just trying to confuse me (which is easily done! lol)

Ok, well I have already been underway for a long time now and just had a thought, what radiator is everyone using? ie, the R32/Audi 3.2 one or the original corrado one?

I am doing away with the mechanical water pump and installing a davies craig electrical water pump and controller. I have also purchased a set of twin 11" cooling fans but have never had them fitted.

Just wondering what would be the best solution, that was all.

hi Craig,

well i did not answer due to not having a clue about MoTec :shrug: i believe that the R32 is not an FSI engine, i'm sure that over people have said this also??

and yeh i'm using the standard radiator with the same twin 11" spal fans.

karl

i know that the r32 in both mk4 and mk5 forms is not fsi.

i was reading the other day and vw did produce an fsi'd 3.2 24v shortly afterwards - i know this newer engine has been fitted to the eos. it has slightly more torque and better fuel economy than the mk5 r32, but differences other than that, i have no idea. but no the mk4 and 5 are not fsi, so whoever told you that is talking bollards, unless of course, you don't in fact have an r32 engine...

Hi Karl, when you say you are going to use the standard radiator do you mean the one rfom the Corrado or the R32 engine one? The problem i face now is this is my next step and I want to buy a new radiator and new hoses, new everything just to make sure.

I am using the BUB 3.2 24v Audi A3 engine. I know it is pretty much the same as the R32 motor. if anyone knows any different please let me know. There is obviously some sort of difference the reason I say that is when I look for engine codes for the 3.2 engines there are quite a few.

VW list

BML

BFH

Audi list

BHE

BPF

BUB was also used in the EOS for VW which actually worries me now. LOL.

Craig

Hi all,

A quick plea for some assistance. I have been helping a friend swap a 4-mo engine into his VR6, and he's gone down the route of an Emerald ECU.

We need to get the car started, and running sufficiently well to pass an MOT, but don't have an engine map! :shrug: I'd be grateful to anyone who has a map they're be prepared to share, that's sufficiently sorted to get the car driveable, the closed loop working well enough to get the through an MOT, and a few hundred miles up the road to be mapped on a rolling road.

If you can help, please get in touch.

Many thanks,

John.

Hey Chris any Photos??

I am just interested to see how everyone is doinf their own conversions. I am currently getting the Exhaust manifold made. Would be interesting to compare notes. :D

Whats the take off like?

hi Craig,

i bought one of the dubpower stainless 6 branch conversion manifolds, its a pefect fit and its sooo much less restrictive than the standard r32 manifold.

heres a pic for ya.

karl

Any contact number for dubpower???

Dropped them an e-mail from their website, but usually easier to phone about these things.

Andy

Any contact number for dubpower???

Dropped them an e-mail from their website, but usually easier to phone about these things.

Andy

no sorry mate, but pete at dubpower will be in touch. send him another e-mail with your phone number attached, he will phone ya.

karl

Hey Chris any Photos??

I am just interested to see how everyone is doing their own conversions. I am currently getting the Exhaust manifold made. Would be interesting to compare notes. :D

Whats the take off like?

Take off is excellent :D Completely different beast to the 12v. Best bet for pics is to look at my build thread, although I've not got a downpipe pic up yet, will try and take some clear pictures this weekend. I must say its quite similar to the r32 one Karl posted, kink in one downpipe to clear the steering column, but on mine it goes into one pipe, then a big flexi then joins onto the old VR cat. Seems to work well.

what oil is everyone running in there R32's?? everywhere i find says something different, even the stealers are telling me different grades :?

at the moment costco are doing Mobil 1 fully synthetic 0w/40 for £20/4l, and castrol edge 5w/30 for £10/3l

any info is appreciated

karl

Karl Im going to run 5W40 Fully in my R36 but thats because its brand new with 0 miles. 0W40 is too thin I reckon.

0 miles :shock: where the hell did you get a brand new R36 from. and how much did that cost??

Hey Karl, If it's any help, the standard oil for R32s, FSIs and 1.8Ts is Castrol SLX 5W/30. They even have Castrol written on the oil filler caps now! It's a very good oil, but remember it's only that thin for emissions reasons. Reduces engine drag, thereby reducing mpg. As your engine is a conversion and therefore subject to Corrado emissions, you can stick what ever you like in :D I'd still use the 5W/30 Castrol though, Edge or SLX 8)

ok cheers guys, it look like i'm going to costco soon then.

halfords wanted £5.15 for 1 litre for the castrol edge 5w/30, and at costco its gonna cost £10 for 3 litres.

Opie oils sell Edge, pretty good prices from what I saw. I tend to stock up on filters and oil (need to as turbos blacken the oil quickly!) and Opie do pretty good bulk discounts. Do Costco do bulk discount?