Sign in to follow this  
cossywraps

windscreen replacement!

:(

My windscreen has a 60cm snake shaped crack in it due to what sounded like only a small stoning hitting the passenger side.

Can anyone recommend somewhere for me to get it replaced, preferably in the South somewhere but am willing to travel if the place is well recommended.

tia

Dom

if its covered by your insurance get it done at VW the ONLY place toget it done correctly by all accounts.

If not then i guess its autowindscreens or something

I had mine replaced by Autoglass in Reading, and have had no problems at all.

Maybe I just got lucky as I've heard some horror stories... (which is presumably why you're asking?)

All I know is it's a very time consuming procedure, has to be done indoors (i.e on their site) and needs to be left afterwards before driving... If they tell you this, then you'll know, that they know, it's not an easy job to do and has to be done carefully...

(apparently getting the old one off isn't for the squeamish either)

Good luck!

DtM.

if its covered by your insurance get it done at VW the ONLY place toget it done correctly by all accounts.

If not then i guess its autowindscreens or something

Ill bet you any money that VW call out autowindscreens etc ,to fit the screen,its a job the mechanics don't want to do because of the rarity of that kind of job..

Got a mate who works at VW Pullmans in Durham I get the inside info :wink:

James

thanks for advice I've just checked my insurance and it it looks like I am covered (£50 excess) but the work has to be carried out by Glassline or if done elsewhere at a cost no more than glassline charge.

Anyone used glassline before?

Dom

Getting the old one out is the easy part, you just sit on the seat and kick it out! Make sure they use a new seal (hence getting VW to do it) as I've seen loads of Cs that re-use the old seal that sit proud of the A frame by as much as 10mm, especially at the top corners. I believe they are also bonded in like Golf G60s, could be wrong though.

Kev

Hm.. it really is hit and miss. I heard all the horror stories (only use VW, insist on a VW screen) but at the time I only had TPF&T and had to fork out for a new windscreen myself - I found a place local to me that did em for £240, and they seemed like a reasonable bunch. First time I got it done, I think they missed a bit and I had to take it back as it leaked when I washed the car.. they apologised profusely and sorted it out - and it was fixed for good. Never had another complaint with the screen..

Problem is if the company DOES screw up fitting the screen, it can go really bad. A fellow on the eGroup got the electrics on his Storm seriously damaged by a bunch of halfwits at a windscreen fitment centre.. apparently it took them about 4 attempts to get them right, and seriously upset the Storm owner because of all the hassle and damage to his car.

Fingers crossed though eh? :)

Make sure they use a new seal (hence getting VW to do it) as I've seen loads of Cs that re-use the old seal

Kev's right. I'd be surprised if the VAG garage changed it themselves. Mine's been changed twice, both times arranged by the garage, and autowindscreens did the job. The second time I hand to bounce on them, because if they dont clean the old seal off, and replace it completely, and take the time to have it set properly- you end up with a badly seated one, with wind noise and all kinds of new problems....

Wherever you go, make sure that the fitter understands that you know that C owners get p****d off if its not done right. Expect to lose the car for the day - its not a 2 hr job!

I once saw a couple of mechanics at my local stealer replacing a windscreen on a MKIV Golf :shock: I feel priveladged now (that is so not selled right but I can't really think at the mo) :p

Well it turns that it's actually RAC autowindscreens that will do the work. Before I go ahead I just wanted to check that for those of you who have claimed through their insurance that it hasn't effected your premium the following year. I'll keep my no claims but will the fact I've made a claim cause it to go up anyway?

cheers

Dom

Expect to lose the car for the day - its not a 2 hr job!

???

Had mine replaced road-side by SilverShield (I think it was - insurance sorted it for me) and took the guy 1 1/2 hours.

New rubber, excellent fitting, even tidied up the old rubber from my interior - plus no leaks what so ever.

kevhaywire, I would love to see you push a bonded in screen out with your feet and not rip your legs on the glass as your foot goes through the screen

Bonded screens are cut out using a wire saw that cuts through the glue.

Well it turns that it's actually RAC autowindscreens that will do the work. Before I go ahead I just wanted to check that for those of you who have claimed through their insurance that it hasn't effected your premium the following year. I'll keep my no claims but will the fact I've made a claim cause it to go up anyway?

cheers

Dom

it shouldn't affect your insurance....unless you have special conditions on your insurance of course that say otherwise