Sign in to follow this  
Big-ted

Feeling REAL stupid

OK, please have sympathy on me with this one...

So I've got a new rad fan switch after noticing that the coolant was getting mighty hot and the fan didn't seem to be coming on on my 2l 16v. Now, am I right in thinking that the coolant needs to be drained to fit this? I guess it makes sense, what with the sensor needing to be in contact with the thing it's measuring and all, but until now I'd managed to overlook this.

Now, I've changed the coolant on other cars many times before, but I often read horror stories about air-locks and all sorts on here, so I'm somewhat reluctant to do this on my C...

So I want to test the fan before doing anything else. Both the fan and the sensor use a 3-pin connector on my car. Is there a way I can test the sensor in situ to verify it's knackeredness, and can anyone tell me which pins to take a 12V supply to test the fan?

Many thanks!

take the plug off the thermo switch and bridge the terminals, if it comes on whack a new thermo switch in there they are £30 though!

Never done it on a valver, but I changed my fan switch without draining the water. I just did it after leaving the car overnight so it was cols and topped up the tiny bit of coolant I lost.

take the plug off the thermo switch and bridge the terminals, if it comes on whack a new thermo switch in there they are £30 though!

OK, so switch closed = hot, but which two of the three pins should be bridged? Also, a new thermo switch (for a valver, from GSF) cost me about £12...

OK, please have sympathy on me with this one...

So I've got a new rad fan switch after noticing that the coolant was getting mighty hot and the fan didn't seem to be coming on on my 2l 16v. Now, am I right in thinking that the coolant needs to be drained to fit this? I guess it makes sense, what with the sensor needing to be in contact with the thing it's measuring and all, but until now I'd managed to overlook this.

Now, I've changed the coolant on other cars many times before, but I often read horror stories about air-locks and all sorts on here, so I'm somewhat reluctant to do this on my C...

So I want to test the fan before doing anything else. Both the fan and the sensor use a 3-pin connector on my car. Is there a way I can test the sensor in situ to verify it's knackeredness, and can anyone tell me which pins to take a 12V supply to test the fan?

Many thanks!

If you're quick you won't lose much coolant swapping in the new switch!

Air locks aren't too bad on the 16v, but you might need to loosen the top rad hose clamp and wiggle the hose to help get the air out, drive a short way and then top up the header tank if the level drops as the engine cools.

You can simply short the fan straight to the battery to make sure the motor is OK. Test the sender by checking the continuity as the water temp rises.

Pins shouldn't be hard to figure out from the wiring, again check the loom connector with a multimeter to see which is which.

David.

Right. Fan works. It's the two end terminals that need to be bridged for future reference!

Guess I'll be attempting the quick swap sunday then, but I think I'll get hold of some G12+, just in case!

Many thanks for your speedy help once again gents! ;D

Um, well you have one plug, with three terminals in a line. You connect the two end ones with a bit of wire, and, if your lucky, your tie/knuckles/pony tail get ripped to shreds by the fully functional fan. Oh, wait a minute.... :?

You should be able to get the fan to go fast and slow with a piece of wire, thats why theres 3 terminals!

Update:

Changed fan switch today. Fan works spot on. Lost a fair bit of coolant but topped up with G12+ and all is good.

One thing concerns me though. The kind folks at GSF insisted I needed an extra brass washer with the switch. Knowing no different, I ordered this too, but when it arrived the switch already had a brass washer on it, although slightly different to the one sent seperately. On inspecting the old temperature switch, it definitely only had the one washer (the one which was on the new switch already) so I'm sort of at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do with this extra washer. Guess I'll just watch closely for any leaks. For now I think it's time to verify correct operation of coling system on my local private road! :D

Many thanks for all your help!