Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

6-speed Box

Is anyone running a 6 speed Box as in one of the later golf cable ones or a 5 speed rebuilt with overdrive?

Im just wondering what the mod was like and if its worth it?

Stealth/Gemini do a nice 6 speed conversion. I believe 5th becomes 6th and the rest are restacked to keep the engine in the torque band when changing, i.e. lowered ratios. It costs well over £1000 though or I think VW motorsport sell an alloy end case with a 6th gear conversion kit for a bit less.

Kev

Nigel,

Am pretty sure that I read somewhere that the 6-speed box from the Mk4 TDi Golf can be used with the G60. Will do a search and get the info for you if I can,

Cheers

we have just fitted a six speed box with the 20vt, the O2M is compatible with the G60 i think ....

Amy

I know a guy wit a 20VT fitted, and a TDI 6-speed gearbox mounted.

Mine is due to fit in one as well, later this month (sept. 2003).

By then I should have (with tuning of other parts and chippy) 210bhp and 420/450 newton meters of torque.

'Till then..... :lol:

I'm interested in another than standard gearbox for my VR6 C.

I'm thinking of 6-speed or seguential. Mine is going worser and worser. So soon I've to change it, I think.

I have a 2001 V6 Golf at the mo (selling for 13000 BTW) and it has a six speed box.

It is V fast but I am sick of changing gear round town. I dont like pulling away in 2nd so traffic lights tend to be firstsecondthird...fourth. Because I have to change to second so early I find that unless I pull away hard most cars edge ahead. There is no relaxed driving. BUT when you are up and moving in suburbia I can leave it in third and cruise along for ages around junctions, roundabouts etc no problem.

Personally I cant wait to get a 5 speed VR6 Corrado

Ah, the VR6 Corrado. 4th gear cruising in suburbia... Round roundabouts, junctions etc etc.... And if you're above 40mph, 5th gear will do too...

Talk about relaxed driving... :)

From traffic lights... First... Third... Fifth... :)

MMMM... not sure about the ratio's on a tdi 6 speed tdi box .. I think there abit tall for my style of driving..

I've got one from a seat leon cupra R ...

Ah, the VR6 Corrado. 4th gear cruising in suburbia... Round roundabouts, junctions etc etc.... And if you're above 40mph, 5th gear will do too...

Sounds almost as good as my MKI golf 16V... Pull off (happily :shock: )in 3rd and at 20mph you can cruise in 5th! I think the 1600 gearbox that I was running in it was probably a bit too short geared!

20 -> 120+ without changing gear... Now that's my idea of relaxed! :lol: :lol:

I have a 2001 V6 Golf at the mo (selling for 13000 BTW) and it has a six speed box.

It is V fast but I am sick of changing gear round town. I dont like pulling away in 2nd so traffic lights tend to be firstsecondthird...fourth. Because I have to change to second so early I find that unless I pull away hard most cars edge ahead. There is no relaxed driving. BUT when you are up and moving in suburbia I can leave it in third and cruise along for ages around junctions, roundabouts etc no problem.

Personally I cant wait to get a 5 speed VR6 Corrado

I'll swap you your 4Motion for my 5 speed Corrado VR6 :lol:

For relaxed cruising and rapid get aways with the minimum of fuss, you need an auto, a big engined auto! I used to love my BMW 325i auto for rapid junction blasts......all you do is jump on the gas hard enough for the kickdown to activate and you'll pull away like a scalded cat, leaving manual drivers floundering behind. But for the ultimate tyre screeching get away - hold the revs in N at 3000 and then when the lights change, slide across to 1 or D and then floor it :lol:

The box will die pretty much after the 10th time of doing that, but it's just one of those foolish things you do......

Kev

Sounds almost as good as my MKI golf 16V... Pull off (happily :shock: )in 3rd and at 20mph you can cruise in 5th! I think the 1600 gearbox that I was running in it was probably a bit too short geared!

20 -> 120+ without changing gear... Now that's my idea of relaxed! :lol: :lol:

I used to have a MK1 16V. What a fun car! Mine was Mars red with black Borbet Cs. I did the conversion in 1996, which takes me back a few years :? . Engine was standard + Ashley 4 - 1 manifold and generated 156bhp. Acheived a 6.9 sec 0-60 at santa pod soon after, so it was pretty nippy.

I used the standard 16V gearbox so it wasn't quite as flexible as yours!

Kev

But for the ultimate tyre screeching get away - hold the revs in N at 3000 and then when the lights change, slide across to 1 or D and then floor it :lol:

The box will die pretty much after the 10th time of doing that, but it's just one of those foolish things you do......

Kev

lol! :lol:

i've had two 4cyl cavalier beaters... i used to rev it right up and drop it into drive all the time... (don't need to brake to put it in drive after a few years that function wears out i guess??) ..i used to spin the tires fairly well and that car has NO power.. haha, niether slushbox has had it yet either!!! actually the one i'm driving now recently lost overdrive as gas prices went way up! :mad:

I used to have a MK1 16V. What a fun car! Mine was Mars red with black Borbet Cs. I did the conversion in 1996, which takes me back a few years :? . Engine was standard + Ashley 4 - 1 manifold and generated 156bhp. Acheived a 6.9 sec 0-60 at santa pod soon after, so it was pretty nippy.

I used the standard 16V gearbox so it wasn't quite as flexible as yours!

Kev

I dunno about flexible, if you used first you needed second instantly if you touched the throttle... Wheelspin in 4th was always fun outta roundabouts too! :shock:

I got a 165BHP at the wheels :shock: outta mine 'cos of a few tweaks I'd done and I have no idea what the 0-60 was but it had to be in the 5 second bracket... I used to love that car, and I really should get my butt in gear and finish re-building her... She'd been off the road for 5years now and I built her in 1995/6 so while I've had her she's spent more time off the road than on it! :roll: :shock: :?

hi,

to those who have fitted the 02M gearbox to there corrados - what drive shafts did you use? are they dificult to fit?

I had some custom ones made up when i did my mk2 6 speed setup - the mk4 shafts didnt fit (and I was running the wider track VR front end)

Ta

I've got a Gemini 6 speed. I was £1366+VAT for the gearkit, and worth every penny. the car accelerates hard as hell, even in 5th, it feels like it's got another 50BHP. although a lot of this is down to the lower final drive too.

I believe the 6speed from the Seat Leon Cupra R fits the VR6 however i don't know enough about it so if we can get some certainty it is something i'l deffinately do.

My mate had the Quaife 6speed box in his VR and with the vortech charger on aswell it seemed to sprout wings. Awsome!

Chris

the o2m box is huge!!!! and apparently weighs too much for most peoples liking?

1-1-1-1051113763?m=1&pg=0&ro=0&co=0

tdi 6 speed in a mk 2 golf. a massive beast :shock: you wouldn't believe how much it weighs - i'll get a figure for you all soon

now replaced with a 5 speed and going for a decent gear set as Paul (phatvr6 has) - and a load less mass in a lightweight car

tt

is there anywhaer thatll just swap with the cogs in the std box for better accelaration low down and a longer first? without costing the earth?

so the right thing to go for would be the quaife or Gemini box????

Anyone have the ratios of the various boxes lying about?

My Gemini ones are

1st 3.3:1 (stock)

2nd 1.94:1 (stock)

3rd 1.5:1

4th 1.2:1

5th 0.95:1

6th 0.75:1 (which I order specially)

I'm running a 3.94:1 final drive (ring and pinion). Stock 2.8 VR6 Golf is 3.3:1, stock Corrado VR6 is 3.6:1, which I think the G60 alos shares, but I'm not 100% certain on that.