Sign in to follow this  
Lanceevox

Saving Gas

How do I shift so I can save the most gas? At how many rpm's do I shift? I have been averaging around 14 mpg around the city & I rarley go on the freeway. Please any advice will help!

Um.. well for general sensible driving, i'd be changing up by about 2,500RPM.

Assuming you got a G60?

It has been going up in price in the US, but it's still miles cheaper than over here.

Lanceevox - if you are only getting 14 mpg it sounds like you have a problem with the car. My VR averages around 22mpg in town and can get up to over 30 on a longer run. I would get the car checked.

I hear the Prius is good on fuel economy... :lol:

Edit: mr.ots - remember that a US gallon is 2/3 the size of a UK gallon ;)

1.2 US gallons to 1 UK gallon and if my maths is right a UK car averaging 22mpg should mean the US car averaging just over 18mpg assuming similar fuel and driving conditions. 14mpg still sounds a little low if being driven economically.

1.2 US gallons to 1 UK gallon and if my maths is right a UK car averaging 22mpg should mean the US car averaging just over 18mpg assuming similar fuel and driving conditions. 14mpg still sounds a little low if being driven economically.

Ahh ok, a bit bigger than 2/3 then. I usually average around 21mpg in town :(

Ahh ok, a bit bigger than 2/3 then. I usually average around 21mpg in town :(

The way I have been driving... I average around 18-19mpg, doesn't matter if around town or not, I just can't help it. I'm really slow at getting confident in new cars and I'm really getting used to the car now and can take it further towards the limit than I used to be able to and I can't help but take it fast around each bend or roundabout, I just have to put the foot down :( damn you seductive sound of a vr6, damn you seductive engine!!! :oops: