Sign in to follow this  
White2505

turbo power output ????

I will be getting mine back soon, shud be pushing 250+

Spec: 2 Ltr 16v

Garrett T25, TurboForged pistons, DTA engine management system, All Smiles carbon fibre inlet manifold, Cosworth throttle body,Samco silicone hosing Braided fuel lines, Polished 20v fuel rail, Red injectors, NGK spark plugs, Custom pipework, Jetex air filter, G60 intercooler,

Bailey DV26 dump vavle, Magnecor ignition leads, Custom made downpipe, Longlife custom made exhaust

it all depends what you go for most cheap 16vT get about 220bhp

start getting good parts ull make 250

now if you do it proeperly its all boost and intercooler indepedant but youll see from 300 to 500bhp :D

only just seen this thread kinda answers my question i sent ya aposegil what sort of cost do ya think it would be for the cheap and how much more to do it properly just so i can prepare my credit card for the bashin it may recieve!!

mate ill be honest with the cost as ive got a good idea but like Corrado Euge i would go for the mid option 250 which means low compression pistons ok intercooler and turbo because u can always upgrade these and add standalone and go for the bigger outputs

it also depends if your going to do the work urself or get soemone else to do it?

250 is a little optimistic for a T25. The most I got out of my 16V T using that turbo was 221bhp. It needed a T3 hybrid and huge FMIC to get 260bhp.

If you use the S2 setup, then 300bhp+ is easy meat....

a bit optimistic? i beg to differ ;) turbo tech come along way now ball bearing turbos are def gettting better

T25 turbo

p.s can some one explain to the dumb arse (yes me :cry: ) how i do that linky thing please you can pm me the answer if you want, sorted thanx VR6

LOL, mate, mine was an off the shelf T25 with standard white metal bearings, nothing like as trick as that one!

I suppose that modded one will do well over 250, but the ancient original one would be pushing it. They don't much like going over 1 bar. Mind you, mine was giving 221 with 12psi....I could have pushed it more but the T3 was better for top end anyway. The 16V just ingested what the T25 had to offer with ease....boost tailed off at 5000rpm!

i can believe it

but with this T24/40R i know someone running 2 bar

ok no vw but its a 2L 16v

ok boost about 2300-2500rpm and doesnt stop until limitter and i mean no tailing off either :o

because it has a hhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeee inlet 4" means it can suck and push alot more air and small exhaust means good reponse i.e spin up

off course the other bits help lol

lucky for me my comapny supplies the nickel in them so i might be able to get a few nice special prices lol but still working on it lol

Cool stuff..... I miss my 16V turbo days :-( In a MK2 aswell...the power to weight ratio used to eat Scoobies with ease :-)

Yeah the T25 started boosting nicely at 2000rpm, peaked at 4500 and then started dropping off. The valver just flows too darn well ;-)

The charger dropped pressure? Unusual that.... quite different to the Vortech on my VR then. Nothing will cause that to drop pressure other than someone cutting the drive belt :-)

Your car was sweet....I loved the noise and the filled roof gutters, perfect job ;-)

yeah remember g60 boost same throught out so when u have a engine which eat up boost and fuel lol like no tomorrow it will, you should know with the turbo 16v

the reason boost would drop is not because the turbo couldnt make it, the turbo boost the same throught out but it (say 12 psi) had run out/gone past its limits (because of housing, bearings, turbines, etc) hence why it tailed off, not sure if that sounds right or come across right but hope u know what i mean :D hence why people go for bigger turbos but get more lag

urs is a centerfigual one which mean the more it spins the more it boost the perfect charger :D but on idle doesnt produce no way as much as a g60 and remember ur supercharger is built for ur kind of engine the original went on the big boy V8's out there ;) wish i had take the time and put one of those on my 16v but it looked like way to much work lol

Yeah that's true, the Vortech is in vacuum until about 3000 rpm! Still, the turbulence 'off boost' still seems to give a little more torque than standard. Mine makes 160lb/ft at 2000rpm, which is way more than a standard VR.

Yeah it would have been a chore putting a Vortech on a 16V but they can run at over 20psi, so the results would have been good!

Still mightily impressed with Jereon Dik's 353hp 1.9 16V G60!!

mate ill be honest with the cost as ive got a good idea but like Corrado Euge i would go for the mid option 250 which means low compression pistons ok intercooler and turbo because u can always upgrade these and add standalone and go for the bigger outputs

it also depends if your going to do the work urself or get soemone else to do it?

alright aposegil i wouldnt be doin the work myself as i dont really know what im doin so guess that kinda restricts me on what i could get done as i dont wanna be spendin much more than 2.5k, just tell me if im livin im dream world an ill give meself a maaaassssivvee slap then conjure up some cunning plan to get more money!!! :lol:

Yeah that's true, the Vortech is in vacuum until about 3000 rpm! Still, the turbulence 'off boost' still seems to give a little more torque than standard. Mine makes 160lb/ft at 2000rpm, which is way more than a standard VR.

Yeah it would have been a chore putting a Vortech on a 16V but they can run at over 20psi, so the results would have been good!

Still mightily impressed with Jereon Dik's 353hp 1.9 16V G60!!

really, thats really good :) just shows u how good that charger is, i know a lot of people love the G60 but when u see the likes of vortech makes it look as old as a horse drawn cart lol (only kidding but u get the idea)

Also yeah i know he is the king amazing mapping and a lot of charger rebuilds makes it possible but for someone like us to do it becomes very un economical/unreliable as ull spend most the time rebuild things

Now there is a kit for the old X flow in America its easier to put onto a 16v pity ive run out passion :(

jeffcabbage - hello mate to tell u the truth unless you find a 2nd hand kit (they do come up) ull need to spend alot more to get it done properly ive mentioned a few great turbos and i think others would agree they are good turbos

plus modifing allways go over budget trust me ask anyone on here

kev / alex

I take it the 9a would be a suitable engine for turboing? Other than a Turbo Tech kit, is it possible to source the parts separately?

what is required with regard to management, engine internals and throttle bodies - do they all need to come of Vdubs, I have seen some ford parts on the bay can you mix and match?

Kev - take it Vince is the man for 16vT conversions (back in the day)?

Yep, Vince did a 9a Corrado 16V Turbo - back in the day :-)

Vince does know a lot about 16Vs in general and turboing them yeah, but demand for them is very low now compared to 6, 7 years ago. He generally recommends the 20VT conversion instead now as everything's off the shelf. 16V T's need a certain amount of 'cobbling' parts together and obviously the 20VT comes with a decent management system out of the box. The 16V either needs a DTA or some other kind of external fuel/ignition controller.....or even Digifant if you can find all the parts from Germany (some MK2 Golf 16Vs in Europe were Digifant!).

You basically need to set out your goals and then choose a turbo/manifold/IC/pipework/Compression lowering method etc and then sort the fuelling and ignition out.

9a is a good engine to start with. its got strong standard internals good for 300-350hp with proper tuning. may not last for ever but will do it. a set of pistons is a good call.

kev you make it sound harder than it is mate but like you said you had yours in their earlier years. turbo technology and tuning have gone a long way since then mainly thanks to the americans willing to stretch an old platform.

as for the turbo i gone with a precision sc61 which is basically a t3/t04e with a gt40 air side wheel and a t350 exhaust side.

management wise ive got megasquirt that costs around 250. not set up yet and my post is still not updated cos im lazy. ill try to not be so idle and update my project post may wait for the block back first from the machine shop so i dont have to post as many times.

theres a turbo-technics 16v kit on ebay at the moment, £800 buy it now :)

FAO Mods there has been increased use of subliminal message in this forum. Please monitor this more carefully.

:D :lol:

so if I have understood correctly form this and other threads.

k jet on the valver is good for about 200bhp, the best the 16v is producing in non turbo/supercharged form on here seems to be around the 160-170 mark.

it seems if you want to exceed the capapbilities of the k-jet then your into real big bucks with engine management and forced induction.

so what thoughts are there on how to exceed the theoretical 170bhp barrier without going full out engine management and turbo/supercharger.

i'm not after a 350bhp firebreather just interested in maximising the potential of the existing set-up

kev you make it sound harder than it is mate but like you said you had yours in their earlier years. turbo technology and tuning have gone a long way since then mainly thanks to the americans willing to stretch an old platform.

Didn't realise I was, sorry, but lowering compression ratios and choosing and fitting turbo equipment is not exactly 'easy' though. Especially as there is no definitive source of info dedicated to forced induction 16Vs. I think we need a thread covering just that :-) It is easy for some people, but not the majority of folk asking the questions here. Hence why some people recommend the 20V route as bar a few mechanical changes, it's a straight forward install and you've got 280hp instantly if you use a chipped S3/TT platform motor, loom, ECU and clocks.

There are just so many options with the 16V. There's the S2 route, T25, a few of the turbos you've mentioned, EIP kits etc etc..... and that's before you even look at prepping the block for force feeding.....and I mean with mechanical changes rather than slapping a spacer gasket on.

How about you put a thread together with a 'recommended' setup for all our FI 16V fans? :-) You know your stuff so I'm sure it would help immensely!