Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

the official everything-goes-wrong-with-my-rado day

Ok, I have no idea where to put this post, because this one covers pretty much every aspect: interior, drivetrain, exterior and God knows what.

Exterior: My lights barely work. They have been bad before, but today, they looked ok from the outside, but I couldn't see shit in the dark. When I click the full beam handle, and hold it all the way in, two things happen: For one, my head lights (normal beam), become twice as strong, and, as you would expect, the full beam goes on. When I release the handle, both the full beam and the normal beam dims. Even the blue led in the instrument cluster dims a bit. What can this be about?

Drivetrain: This only happened once, but when I was going to put it in reverse, I put the gear stick in position, but it was still in neutral. When I tried to put it in reverse again, it worked alright.

Interior: My driver side window is now stuck at fully open. I thought it was alright, cuz I've used it a couple of times since it happened last, but I guess not.

ICE: My freaking stereo is a pain in the ass, with alternator feedback.

AARGH!

I am so mad at my rado right now. let me hit something!

All sounds like an electrical problem to me dude. Check all the wires around the battery and behind the fusebox. Apart from the reverse problem, I wouldn't worry about that yet, it sounds like driver error. Wait and see if it happens again.

Earth strap to the bonnet? Allways worth replacing if its snapped. Passenger side corner at the windscreen end.

The rest sounds like a normal day in my car!

Might have to strip the door card to see whats on with the lecky windows. Has it been stood for a while, as that can make the windows stick uop or down as they fur up at both extremes?

Hmmm, sounds like someone's Rado is throwing a winder wobbler.

Window - remove the door card and inspect the mechanism. Paying particular attention to the plastic cable guides at the top and bottom of the main runner. They sometimes snap off. Sometimes the motor responds well to a thump with a hammer believe it or not. If it does, the internal rubber shock absorbers are worn out and you'll need a new motor, which comes with the whole assembly....about £180 GBP!! Not cheap.

ICE - Check your earths and ensure the signal wires are away from the power runs if they're not expensive RCA leads. Also put a meter on the battery with the engine running and check the Alternator hasn't gone AC on you. You'll need to change the diode pack if it has. Don't outrule the head unit either. I had a Pioneer with a faulty ground loop and whined all the time, no matter what I did with the cabling.

Gearbox - Was that from cold? They can be reluctant at first to go in reverse when the engine is on fast idle. Also lift the gear lever gaiter and make sure the circlip that holds the stick in place isn't missing.

Headlights - Sounds like a relay issue. Have you got an uprated loom on?

Thanks for all help, I guess it's just showing signs of being 16 years old at last.

I'll check the window this weekend. It'll probably come up tomorrow, yet it's still kinda spooky to leave the car with the window winded down all night long.

I am wondering of re-wiring my whole stereo, cuz it's been done pretty roughly before. However, it wasn't squeaking before I swapped the head unit.

I do not have an uprated loom, although I probably will fit one once I get to summer time. what relays should I change?

Cheers, and thanks for all help.

NickVR6, what do you mean with the earth strap to the bonnet?

Not sure regarding the standard relays but the uprated looms come with a couple of relays, which can sometimes play up.

NickVR6 means the radio interference strap that bolts to the bonnet hinge on the battery side of the car.

All right, thanks a lot for all the help so far. I'll take the door card off this weekend, to inspect and dissect. I got it up this morning, after letting it rest over night. Still kinda creepy tho, so I think I'll leave it alone until later, or at least not operate it in any way.

Another, that are wrong with my car at the moment:

- The speedometer jumps on and off all the time now. I guess it is the speedo cable that is getting rounded off in the gear box, but how do I replace it? Where does it attach to the gear box, and where does it go from there?

The headlight thing is one of two things, crappy standard wiring meaning you can't see shit, and also the reflectors in your lights are probably shot too.

Interestingly the effect you get when you pull back the stalk is something that happens on Mk2 Golfs, not noticed it on my C but it probably does it too, i have just become used to it. No idea why it happens though and when you upgrade the wiring looms it goes away