JMC

JMC's G60

When you say "RPM head" is this a company name like "CNC"?

Hows the running in progress?

Running in is going well thanks (well I hope it is anyway :lol: ). Done over a 1000 miles in it now, and am booked in with Surrey Rolling Road this weekend. Darren and Steve are coming over to do the last few bits then we are going to tune it :clap: :clap:

One thing I have noticed - runs hotter then my old engine. Oil temps were 110 on the motorway, and they used to sit at 100 (I have a small Mocal on there). I presume this is usual for new engines due to the increased friction :shrug:

Gotta say, im sooooooo jealous. I just got a mk2 an really what to fit a g60 in there.

Keep us updated with progress please.

Great to meet finally the past Sunday Jonathan - love the car! Let me know when mapped and I'll pop down and see what I missed out on doing to my old G60! :)

Great to meet finally the past Sunday Jonathan - love the car! Let me know when mapped and I'll pop down and see what I missed out on doing to my old G60! :)

Likewise Leon, good to meet you the other week. In theory it will be getting mapped this weekend, however I'll believe it when I see it. Then you can come over and have a go in it :D

Sounds like your cars going to be a flyer mate. When you enquired about your engine did he have different routes that you could take i.e. 1940, 1900, 2000cc. Id like some more info on this as I would like to go down this route myself shortly. Id ring him but i know hes busy and im still saving up the pennies :lol:

Basically 1900 is simple (or as simple as a rebuild can be) and not much more in cost, 1940 is more complex and expensive, 2000 is very complicated/difficult/expensive. TSR do a 2l one, but that is based on a van engine, and there was something on here a while back about the oil squirters not being correct (amongst other potential flaws). As far as I am aware 1900 is the only one Darren does. Henny will have more info on the 1940, and I think Blue Joes old 2000 was done by RPM if memory serves me, who vowed they would never do it again :lol:

You can do a 2.1 if you use a mk3 2.0 Gti bottom end (£80 for a whole engine) re bore, G60 crank, flowed head, and the most expensive parts are pistons, and injectors, only other expense is all the nuts and bolts & gaskets etc

it can be done quite cheaply if you scour the ads for the spare parts :grin: and do most of the job your self

Arrrgh - the final install of parts and tuning which was supposed to happen tomorrow has just been cancelled :bad-words: :censored: . Soooo frustrating - makes me wish I was a better mechanic and was more able to do things myself :roll: . Sorry folks, just needed a little rant, as (funnily enough) I have been looking forward to this for some time :bad-words:

It would seem that the mapper had forgotten to mention that he had already planned on being in 2 places at once as he is doing something else tomorrow. Nice to find out with plenty of notice :censored: especially when I made sure I was around this weekend so it could be done. Still going to go ahead and get the DD done though - it will give me a benchmark if nothing else. Starting to come off the boil now, but it is bl00dy frustrating having to rely on others.

Can you not have it mapped elsewhere? :eek:

I can, but it's more the being told 1 day before it was going to happen that is the point. It's the principle of the thing. Not a good way to run a business in my mind, or maybe I am being too demanding :? Problem is I am running around on a map for my old engine, on a new one with substantial modifications. To be honest I just wanted to get it mapped properly now the work has been done - with Surrey Rolling Road 2 miles away, I was supposed to be getting the last bit of work done here tomorow, and then straight down to SRR to have it mapped. Being let down means looking like a muppet to SRR ("Sorry not going to happen now guys - yes would have been nice to give you more notice, but don't worry it's only a waste of a bank holiday sunday. You didn't want to go and do anything anyway did you?"), and driving around in a car which isn't running properly.

very good points mate, and I don't think you're being too demanding. If something urgent came up and the map man told you asap then fair enough, but sounds like it was more bad organisation on his part and not realising? I'd be annoyed too.

just wanted to say awesome job with everything. :notworthy:

Sorry to hear about your current dilemma :( , but i'm quite sure it'll get sorted.

As i have my own huge project going (thanks for contributing to the thread) I wanted to check out others projects and your thread was jam packed with all sorts of interesting ideas. I've spent probably the last hour reading thru your entire thread start to finish and must say it's been well worth it. You really got my wheels turning :cuckoo: haha

can't wait to hear about the 1.9 end result!!

just wanted to say awesome job with everything. :notworthy:

Sorry to hear about your current dilemma :( , but i'm quite sure it'll get sorted.

As i have my own huge project going (thanks for contributing to the thread) I wanted to check out others projects and your thread was jam packed with all sorts of interesting ideas. I've spent probably the last hour reading thru your entire thread start to finish and must say it's been well worth it. You really got my wheels turning :cuckoo: haha

can't wait to hear about the 1.9 end result!!

Cheers mate :D It has been a voyage of discovery, and taken me from knowing nothing at all, to enough to be dangerous :lol: . Sure it will get sorted soon as you say - everything is on hold slightly at the mo as I am off to the US next week, so it will all have to wait till I return. Looking forward to getting it mapped though :D :D . Keep us up to date with yours as well - looks like a great project.

everything is on hold slightly at the mo as I am off to the US next week, so it will all have to wait till I return.

oh off to the US...why not stop by and help me get mine sorted :dance: HAHA

i'm sure you'll be busy, plus you'll probably be nowhere near my location.

everything is on hold slightly at the mo as I am off to the US next week, so it will all have to wait till I return.

oh off to the US...why not stop by and help me get mine sorted :dance: HAHA

i'm sure you'll be busy, plus you'll probably be nowhere near my location.

If you're in Boston, very happy to stop by mate :D . Where about are you based anyway?

Still not got it mapped yet, but have my new fornt bumper (from Southam Bodies - thanks to Greg) which has had an FK debadged grill grafted into it to flow more air, and spent yesterday and today on the metal work for it. Now then, just need a small numperate and the time to fit it all together.

Even though its not been mapped yet and has a few more bits to go on (red tops, Schrick cam, vernier cam sprocket, 65mm pulley) I had a power run done on it anyway - made 205bhp at Surrey Rolling Road, so it shouldbe a beast when the map is finally done :D

I'm quite far off from boston, but thanks for the offer. I'm in Louisiana.

like the new bumper, quite convenient having the grill grafted in.

again i'd ask what you're doing with the old one, but the shipping alone would probably kill me.

I'm quite far off from boston, but thanks for the offer. I'm in Louisiana.

like the new bumper, quite convenient having the grill grafted in.

again i'd ask what you're doing with the old one, but the shipping alone would probably kill me.

Cheers for the PM too mate Cheapmods. Yes, it would be a bit of a trip from Boston to Louisiana. Maybe niext time I'm over I'll hve to do a road trip :lol: . The old bumper is not in very good shape - I think the previous owner must have run it into a wall at some point. So unless I decide to do something else with it it will probably go in the scrap heap :(

Seen that done before im afraid but still looks awesome and done way better than the other i saw :wink:

Was going to do the same to mine, gives it the Audi style deep front grill.

Seen that done before im afraid but still looks awesome and done way better than the other i saw :wink:

Was going to do the same to mine, gives it the Audi style deep front grill.

Wouldn't be one at Jabba would? Typically, about a month after I thought "Wouldn't it be good if...." I saw an article on Jabba in one of the VW mags, and saw a red one where they had had a go at this. Looked pants though - just cut a hole out and popped it in. Thats when I realised it'd have to be done properly if I was going to do it at all. Cheers though Simon - glad it looks as though it's been done well :D

Yes it was theirs and i agree it looked pants but its not a road car, its purely for the track so it serves a purpose and thats it.

I am def doing mine though as it looks way better than theirs did.

Ok folks, here's an update. Just been down to G-Werks for the day (cheers Darren :cheers: ). Got loads done.....

Fitted my Southam Bodies front bumper (now just need te replace my dodgy old 7 slat grill with a 3 slat one). Fitted new 19 row oil cooler, as the old 13 row one was struggling with keeping the new engine cool, low temp thermostat and rad switch (on the motorway on the way back the temps are now sitting at 80 degrees for the water and 90 for the oil). Also fitted the new injectors and chip, so it's pretty much all done now. Will be going off to get a RR done with Cahrlie at Surrey Rolling Road when I can get one organised. All in alla great day (as always). Oh, and on the way back I managed 33mpg as I was stuck in a long line of tourist evening traffic :mad2: , however it compares well with previous runs, and looks as though the government aren't getting any more of my hard earned as a result of the work :norty:

Sorry about all the interuptions at the drop in centre today Jonathan.... Its been great seeing this car get to where it is now.. Just enjoy it for a while now :D