Sign in to follow this  
davebirl

Rado with me new BBS RS 301's

Just got my BBS RS 301's from Austria last Friday.....another ebay purchase!

Have wanted these wheels for years and finally took the plunge and blew a wad of cash.

Do many people run 215/40/17 or 205/45/17 tyres on these? Any problems I can expect instead of using 205/40/17's?

I have her lowered maybe 25mm on H&R Coilovers already too.

The ride is quite harsh now.....

Pic2.jpg

Pic1.jpg

Looks gorgeous mate. Those wheels are so right on a C.

What tyre pressures are you running? Having only a 25mm drop you shouldn't have a harsh ride?

What settings are you dampers on?

Jay

Having only a 25mm drop you shouldn't have a harsh ride? Jay

Jay, You obviously haven't spent much time on Irish roads :wink: 40 profile tyres wouldn't last 5 minutes where I live!

@ Jay

My H&R's are not damping adjustable only height adjustable! eek!

Please someone tell me what kind of tyre pressure should I be running. I guess the factory settings are out the window with non standard tyres?

Would the 45 profile give me a little more comfort?

thanks guys

and yup, it don't see much bad roads.......i try to avoid them!

Don't go for 45 tyres they will a. look to big and b. start giving clearance issues.

I run 32 psi in the fronts and 28 in the rear. it makes a massive difference to the ride if they are 1 or 2 psi higher. I have very stretched 205/40/17 tyres and the ride is very controlled and not crashy at at all.

The answer unfortunately will probably be to invest in some more expensive coilovers. Having owned various types over the years generally you get what you pay for.

Jay

davebirl, try lowering the car a bit more, the H&Rs seem to work better the lower they get!

As yours aren't the adjustable 'race' ones, they must be the 'Comforts', which I've got on mine and find them to give a superb ride quality. I'm also using 17" BBS and really can't fault the handling or the ride at all tbh. And yep, I have to contend with pot holes and cr@p roads on a daily basis too!

As said by the others, you don't want 45s, they'll rub the arches over bumps, they will make the RSs look tiny and the acceleration will suffer. 205/40/17 is fine. 215/40/17 is better but you might still get fouling issues on the rear arches over big bumps.

@ 24V Renshaw

@ kevHaywire

Thanks for the info guys. Kev i think you're right about the ride been better the lower it is cos I raised it up an inch after the first two months cos the speed bumps where I work were rubbing the sump.

Will check the PSI too when I get home Jay, I reckon my pressure is much higher. Thanks

It does make a huge difference. I remeber when I got new tyres put on at one point and they had them at 35PSI. The car drove like I was running on the rims!!

Jay

Jay - coz you've got stretched rubber over your rims is that why you have lowered the pressure? or is it true for any 205/40/17 rubber?

I think I run 32 psi all round, didn't want any bumps to damage the rim of my wheels so that why I dont go lower...?

am I barking up the wrong tree?

Dave, I run the same pressures as Jay and my H&Rs are a good inch lower than yours I'd say. Ride is spot on :-)

I clout the chin spoiler every now and then, but not often enough to need it raising up again. Hitting the sump is not quite so good though, I defo don't get that.

Lippy, Its true for all tyre/wheel combos. I should really run higher pressures as they are stretched, but 28 on the rear is fine. The fronts are a touch higher as they are "pushed" a bit more and don't affect the ride as much as the rear.

Drop the rear pressure down to 28/27 and you will not believe the improvement.

Jay

Looks great !!! i would run a 205/40 on them. I have a 205 on mine widend and the ride isnt that bad if you keep low pressure.I run 32 in the front and 30 in the rear.If you were to run a 45 you would have a better ride over the 40's but you will rub and have clearance issues as said above. If anything run a 215/40 i found it rides a little better but if it were me id do the 205's

What is it about aqua blue VRs and RS301s...?! :lol: Think there's at least four of us on here now, and you and I are also both Daves...!

Looking good mate!

Looks great !!! i would run a 205/40 on them. I have a 205 on mine widend and the ride isnt that bad if you keep low pressure.I run 32 in the front and 30 in the rear.If you were to run a 45 you would have a better ride over the 40's but you will rub and have clearance issues as said above. If anything run a 215/40 i found it rides a little better but if it were me id do the 205's

same pressures as me, tho' i'm on 35 sidewalls.

1790 euros plus 120 euros shipping total of 1910 euros, converted to pounds sterling that is £1305.

Is that alot guys? Two decent front tyres and two almost worn out rears......

Sounds a bit pricey but they are pukka rims mate.

Has transformed your car IMO.

worth every penny for that.

Looks great Dave, I’ve dropped mine about 50mm with H&Rs with 16s and its quite harsh I notice a lot more rattles and things making noise in the cab.

The handling has improved a lot but on bumpy roads or over speed bumps its quite rough.

Im giving it a few weeks to settle in before I decide on the ride height.

Price is fine, they are hard to find after all. Quality costs i'm afraid,and they aren't available new. The modern equivalent being LMs or RS GTs and boy do you pay for them... quality and exclusivity.