Sign in to follow this  
fotocall

VR6 - Dies immediately after start up

This N reg 2.9 Corrado Storm is my everyday pride and joy. Latest problem is the engine dies immediately after starting up. This started in the summer very occassionally and now occurs about 9 in 10 start-ups (battery seems fine) even if car has driven a few miles stopped and then tried to start again. Once going it never cuts out on its own again even at traffic lights. If there is something I can do to test ideas that would be great. I have ordinary tools and a multimeter if they are of any use for what seems something to do with the 'Idle Stabilisation Vlave' suggested by JonRB.

Many thanks to all for any leads and tests to confirm the problem.

Laurie

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the classic in-key immobiliser fault, especially as its a late Corrado VR6.

I've dug this thread out which details what it could be for you (click here) but i'd also reccomend that you pour over the search function (here) as this sort of thing has come up many many times before and should have already been covered :)

Thanks.

could also be the infamous key-reader immobiliser...........or a duff coolant sensor.....best person to ask is RW1.....he should be able to go in depth with the various probable causes

My N reg VR has just started doing exactly the same as yours - although not quite as frequently...yet! Tried searching a little but not found anything - If you have any luck I'd love to hear. I'll let you know likewise...

I didn't realise the immobiliser was part of the key - the alarm set/arm is on a separate keyfob on my car...

fotocall & BristolVR6.

Do the WD40 trick with the connection inside the dash in the thread Jim has pointed to. :wink:

Actually these also the exact symptoms of an unseated fuel pump relay.. In fact even more so if its firing for a second before dying.

If you do a search it will tell you which relay to check (although an easy way is of course to pull off the fuse box cover and seat them ALL back properly).

Cheers

Defo immobiliser.

Hook it up to VAG-COM (if you've got it) and you'll seen in the engine fault code section - "Engine blocked by immobiliser - intermittant".

Defo immobiliser

You sound pretty sure Kev- Although I had exactly the same symptoms as described on two separate occasions and it 'deffo' wasn't the immobiliser.

Vag-Com would be right place to start for sure though.

Cheers

Defo immobiliser

You sound pretty sure Kev- Although I had exactly the same symptoms as described on two separate occasions and it 'deffo' wasn't the immobiliser.

Vag-Com would be right place to start for sure though.

Cheers

And you seem pretty sure it's an unseated fuel pump relay. It's certainly possible given it's the one nearest the bonnet release handle on the lower row, and easily knocked when taking the fuse cover off, but unlikely all of us have had that problem....and it needs to be half hanging out to stop the connection I've found.

My car has started and then died immediately only twice since I've had it (3 years) and on both occasions it was due to the VW immobiliser I *had* to fit with the OBD2 conversion. Engine starts - immobiliser check - not happy with component X - engine dies. It's a classic sign.....

Reading fotocall's symptoms it seems pretty likley to me.

I think we agree then- It could 'possibly' be either- The Vag-Com reading will confirm what it 'definitely' is..

Don't forget to let us all know what it was fotocall...

Cheers

Many thanks to so many good and very qucik ideas to try and things to check. In the case of the VR6 dying at start up lots of times before ticking over properly, I took note of the comment on the coolant level and noticed it below the minimum in the tank. I've now topped it up with best antifeeze from a local car spares shop. The car has been started about 10 times since yeaterday's top up and now starts first time everytime. I need to check out the dash connectors with WD40 and see if the sensors mentioned actually work - which sounds doubtful. If I find more I'll note it here for all.

fotocall

Sounds like exactly what I had, and mine turned out to be a faulty 'Reader coil' whatever that is.

So far fixing the coolant level seems to be keepig it going - but I could soon find the problem return - and if it does the 'reading coil' thingy will be high on the list. My guess is that the reading coil is part of the key checking set up gear by or on the ignition key area.

Many thanks,

fotocall

Yep, what you've got is a little chip thing embedded in the key. The reader coil wraps round the ignition barrel and the proximity of the key to coil reader forms your connection. Once those two are happy, the black box under the dash says to the ECU (encrytped byte stream), "All systems go, we have a verified connection". ECU allows engine start. But if the coil is iffy, or indeed the key, the engine will stop straight away. It's usually intermittant to begin with, but when things get really bad....it'll do it as often as you're experiencing. The whole Key, reader, box setup is about £150 IIRC, but it's rare that'll you'll need a new box. If you do, only VW can recode the ECU to suit. Changing the reader coil sorts the problem in most cases.

Good luck!