Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

BOOM New engine needed

Lo all,

I havent posted in ages as ive been far too busy.

I finally got around to having my G60 engine checked over and ive basically been told to get a new one.

Question is what should i get?

1.8 - 2.0 16v? maybe a mk4 golf gti engine?

Ive no idea where to start so any suggestions welcome!

20vt conversions are quite popular, using qpeng engine management, there's none of the immobliser problems, if you get the right copy of PVW or the one off 'ultimate golf' they did, they give you a step by step guide on how to do it to a mk2 golf. Little different, but essentially the same.

thats the turbo conversion isnt it?

Ideally id like an engine i can stick my charger on, not a big fan of turbos. Unless it'll take a turbo and a charger :D

Well i ditched my charger in favour of a turbo! :D

You could sell the charger on to fund the project, if you're handy with the spanners and look around enough, you could probably do the whole conversion for around £2500

And you wouldn't have to worry about servicing the charger.

Edit: Gotta admit, i do miss that charger howl though. :cry:

20vt conversions are quite popular, using qpeng engine management, there's none of the immobliser problems, if you get the right copy of PVW or the one off 'ultimate golf' they did, they give you a step by step guide on how to do it to a mk2 golf. Little different, but essentially the same.

Any ideas what issue it was?

Cheers

Cheers

Can't remember off hand, i'm sure it was a summer issue, but you can get Ultimate Golf it's a kinda special one off magazine book thingie with all of the 'better' golfs in it, it had the same 1.8T article in it. It's still on sale now.

nice one Dave, I'll drop into WHSmith today, thanks.

Anyone know any reputable garages in Cardiff area that could set a 20vt (BAM) engine up properly once in?

saysomestuff no worries mate. :thumb right:

If you fancy a trip across the brigde, TSR in Bridgwater, Somerset know their stuff!

Do a search for PSI tuning and get yourself over to see Andy Walker in Newcastle. He'll give you some good options.

This one might do for a cheapish job. Andy saw the car in question, it didn't run perfect but wasn't fitted by experts either.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Gavin

I'll second that one, take a look at my sig ;)

im a member of another forum and told them i needed a new engine, the 2.0l 20v turbo came up but someone suggested that i use the engine but fir the charger to it instead.

Other suggestions include:

2.0 8v bottom end with 16v KR head and cams

Golf V5 engine

A 1H engine out of a Rallye

Anyone any experience with any of these?

its all so bloody confusing!

Cheers

You can download it from here http://www.qpeng.com/press_articles.html

If you have any questions just ask as it was my car. Have now done a 20VT in my corrado. Am doing one for forum member ving60 next week. Will take a load of photos during the conversion. He's from Newport so might take you for a blast if you ask him.

Well your 1H is basically the same as a PG, i think the only difference is stronger head bolts and something slightly different about the head. Oh its also a slightly smaller CC.

Cheers

You can download it from here http://www.qpeng.com/press_articles.html

If you have any questions just ask as it was my car. Have now done a 20VT in my corrado. Am doing one for forum member ving60 next week. Will take a load of photos during the conversion. He's from Newport so might take you for a blast if you ask him.

Thanks for that man, whereabouts are you anyway?

Thanks for that man, whereabouts are you anyway?

I'm in North Dorset, about 70 miles from the other side of the bridge.