Sign in to follow this  
mgbv8mike

Schrick Versus VWR VSR

I'm seriously tempted ....but which one ?. I find the VR6 engine seriously short of mid range torque compared with the V8 Rover in my MGB...yes....I know... it's a hooligan after 3500rpm....but I must have torque...torque...torque.

Has there been a comparative test between the Schrick and VWR VSR....has anyone tried them both in the same car....I'm not looking for opinion (there is always loads of that here)....but hard facts.

Can anybody help me ?

Thanks Andy,

I saw that some time ago when I first got interested in the project...it seemed to favour the VW manifold on balance...which I admit is the one which I really fancy.

Well yeah, so do we all. That's why they're seriously hard to come by, and seriously expensive.

You have the choice - walk into a tuning place and buy a Schrick VGI (or buy one of the 2nd hand ones kicking around), or wait and wait and wait till a VSR comes along for sensible money. Oh and then you'll probably have to buy all the bits for it too ..!

By the way, the "technical bit" in the above link is rubbish. At low revs the VSR/VGI use both inlet tracts *separately*, at high revs they effectively allow them to work *together*.

I have a VGI, and I love it. I would prefer a VSR (for "originality"), but my VGI is new, warrantied, shiny, and reliable... :)

(Really like the powder finish black VGI in those pics though .. :) )

Shrick inlet manifolds are about £1200 am I right? How much is fitting time?

And how much is a VGI?

What kind of torque increase can any of these inlet manifolds make and are they worth the outlay of money, as I was thinking about one of these too? Are there any other 'cheaper' but good quality inlet manifold alternatives to a Shrick with similar torque increases? I have an ODB2 golf vr6 which is a pity as the old VSR can't fit ODB2 :(

VGI == Schrick.. :) And RRP is nearer £2000 with the full vacuum kit and control unit.

VSRs come up from time to time and tend to sell for anything up to £1000 even as a bare manifold. The "original" package came with a ECU chip for the early VR6 ecu, and all the right vacuum gubbins. Expect to pay more for one of these ..

On an otherwise completely standard 2.9 OBDi VR6 you can expect peak torque to shift from ~182lbft@4400rpm to ~195lbft@3700rpm and much more oomph right from about 2800rpm than a standard engine.

There's no other options, afaik, than the Schrick VGI or the VSR. It's a pretty complex piece of kit, and the design is under copyright (Schrick bought it off VWM).

Is it worth it? Well that's up to you. IMHO if your car is a daily drive, it's a worthwhile addition.

What about the manifold sold by EPI (I think thats the one). Around $600. Anyone had any experience with that? I am after more torque as well as I find the VR really lacking low down.