Sign in to follow this  
philO

exhausts again!

i've another question on exhausts, can you have more bhp but without having a loud exhaust? i know that this may defeat the object of a large system but i'd prefer to hear the sweet note from the engine!!!!

cheers phil

i've another question on exhausts, can you have more bhp but without having a loud exhaust? i know that this may defeat the object of a large system but i'd prefer to hear the sweet note from the engine!!!!

cheers phil

You won't notice much extra power from fitting an exhaust. Your engine still needs a certain amount of "back pressure" to run properly. You'll see the most gain from fitting a CAT bypass (so long as your car is pre August 1992).

Just had john (16vG60) fit a miltek cat back to my G60. Great sound from exhaust in tune with the supercharger. Sounds so much better than the wet fart noise i had coming from my standard box. No real notice of extra power because the cat has not been by-passed but i was running the supercharger in for the first 100 miles or so.

I actually lost 4bhp using a Supersprint exhaust, but gained 5lb/ft torque though. That was on a 16V Golf. I would only ever change the exhaust if the VW system is knackered as it's often cheaper, but VW systems are actually pretty good.

Kev

i only had a laser back box from a g60 on my 1.8 16v and the rest was standard.the middle box started to blow so i eventually got a full system from supersprint (except back box still got laser)when i was removing the middle box i noticed that the insides had rusted and the stuff that resembles steel wool had blocked the exhaust up-hence blowing.anyway its straight through supersprint now with laser back box and goes like the clappers its got a nice note at normally speeds but when the pedal is pushed to the floor it takes off and is loud!!

The noise from the exhaust does increase the higher you want your gas flow. However, when it comes to power gains it depends on how the engine will react to having the exhaust gas flow increased as to how much power you will gain if any. Eg, removing the CAT on a normally aspirated VR6 will lose you 4-5bhp. Quite a few modern engines experience this as most modern ECU's are set up to use the back pressure from the CAT. It's only forced induction engines that always benefit from straight through exhausts.

The noise from the exhaust does increase the higher you want your gas flow. However, when it comes to power gains it depends on how the engine will react to having the exhaust gas flow increased as to how much power you will gain if any. Eg, removing the CAT on a normally aspirated VR6 will lose you 4-5bhp. Quite a few modern engines experience this as most modern ECU's are set up to use the back pressure from the CAT. It's only forced induction engines that always benefit from straight through exhausts.

Absolutely and Cats are no longer as restrictive as they used to be, when first introduced. I actually like the muffling effect it has on the exhaust, just like a turbo quitens the exhaust and smooths out turbulence.

Kev

i will probably get a full system as the back box has rusted off from the pipe leading to it and there is a hole the size of a 50p just behind the middle box, which i thick is also rusty! so can anyone recomend what to get and where is the best place to get it fitted in the East Dorset area?

cheers