Sign in to follow this  
CrazyMan

Cam position sensor

I had my car on VAG COM due to poor performance and its showing a fault with the cam position sensor.

Does this fault 100% mean it is the sensor that is gone or could it mean that it is something else that is causing the sensor to read wrong.

Also VW cant find this part so does anyone know the part number?

Means sensor is 100% kaput - dead cam sensors are common and you will be about 40bhp down too

The error code will read "Cam position sensor Gxx - Implausible signal". It's lost it's resolution. Replace it and feel how much quicker the car will feel.

Thank god it's not the engine speed sensor as that costs £140+VAT.

Kev

Anyone know how hard they are to replace, should i get a mechannic to do it?

Ive been told its easy but then another guy told me it takes ages and is very difficult.

Had a look on ETKA for you and couldent find it, then might be looking in the wrong place. Found "cam position trigger"on the end of the cam that has marks for sensors, its the front cam, RH side.

Would post a pic but dont know how.

Hope this helps Guy.

I take it the Valver uses the same part? My valver is considerably slower than my mates MK2 GTi in all gears, and im thinking this could be it.

The sensor is dead easy to fit. It's above and to the right of the coilpack. You need to remove the plastic cowling that sits above the coil to get at it. One bolt holds it in, takes mere minutes to change out.

All that VW see on EKTA is 'impulse sender'. There's only one on the head, so you can't go wrong.

16Vs don't have cam position sensors as they mechanical timing. Only cars with 'fully' electronic management have impulse senders.

Kev

sweeet, nice one kev.

Got the part this morning will be fitting tonight if i can get the plastic off cos my start shaped bolts are shredded to bits :o(

another thing, ive been told i need to get the ecu reset and clear the fault before it will have any affect after fitting, is this correct?

another thing, ive been told i need to get the ecu reset and clear the fault before it will have any affect after fitting, is this correct?

I wouldnt even try and remove the cam sensor without disconnecting the battery. Its behind the coil pack and requires nerve and patience to replace it. So, in summary, yes do disconnect the battery and then go through the loop of driving it through slow speeds, varied speeds, then high speed run- this programmes the ECU....

I wouldnt even try and remove the cam sensor without disconnecting the battery. Its behind the coil pack and requires nerve and patience to replace it. So, in summary, yes do disconnect the battery and then go through the loop of driving it through slow speeds, varied speeds, then high speed run- this programmes the ECU....

Erm, not really. The CPS takes a couple of mins to swap out. Changed mine with the battery connected and I didn't bother with the ECU reset. Can't complain about 200bhp and 193lb/ft torque after replacement with no fault clearance.

The ECU log doesn't affect performance, but reset it when you next hook up to VAG-COM. The ECU is just looking for a certain voltage and square wave from the sensor, when it sees this, it self adjusts automatically and revokes the emergency map.

Kev