Sign in to follow this  
G-Lader

outer cv joint - G60

gutted.....washed and waxed the Corrado on saturday for the National Day on sunday and noticed more grease on my nearside wheel than in the cv boot itself!........not making any noise so I should be able to get away with just replacing the boot and greasing up,had a look with the wheel off and was stuck as to how to start it? Any ideas or should I stump up the garage cost of circa £53 for labour only?

Cheers

1. undo hub nut - you are unlikely to be able to do this without a powerbar or airgun

2. remove wheel & hub nut

3. remove bolt that goes through lower part of hub, then force bottom ball joint out of hub (do not touch the 3 locking bolts that hold the bottom ball joint to the wishbone - this will ruin your tracking and camber.

You will probably need to hit the wishbone downwards away from the hub.

4. You should be able to pull the hub towards you and away from the driveshaft at this point.

5. pull outer CV off of drive shaft.

you can then remove the old boot, re-grease and put new boot on. remember to put the ties on each end of the boot as tight as you can - to stop you loosing all the grease you just put in.

Put it all back together in the reverse of above.

Have none of your mates got a Mk1/2/3 haynes manual? The job is exactly the same.

Good Luck

Andrew

hub nut.....thats the nut in the centre under the dome right?........sounds ok apart from getting that off !

Gotta get round to getting a Haynes manual........normally spend my lunch on reading up for free in Halfords about any tasks I need to do,normally how to get trim etc off.....lol

Cheers for the advice,Ill give it a go if I can sort out the tool for the hub nut

You need a 150+ lb torque wrench to retighten the hub nut. Make sure the handbrake is on good and tight otherwise you'll drag the car down the drive before the nut slackens off.

Kev

Or do what I did and get someone to sit in the car with his foot on the brake. I managed to roll the car about five feet with the handbrake on and the bast*rd thing still wouldn't come undone, man with foot on brake works so much better :D

he he, stubborn little gits aren't they?

Kev

You just need a BIGGER lever with a BIG hammer! :lol: :roll: :lol: