Sign in to follow this  
gradeAfailure

Valver starting issues

My sis's valver is having some issues starting - when the key is turned, the starter seems to be powered, but it makes the sort of sound you get if you trigger it whilst the engine's already running. It usually takes about 5-10 attempts before it finally catches and turns the engine over.

Reckon it's definitely the starter motor, or could it be something else?

Cheers!

So does the engine start then the starter makes noise?

Or does it not catch at all.

Check starter connections,slacken them off clean and retighten.Also remove the starter and lubricate the bush that slides into the bellhousing.

I had the same problems with my g60, except that it only happened every once in a while. I changed mine, and it was a totally different starting experience :)

Not 100% sure about this but arn't the 16v goofs prone to a bad earth on the starter motor causing this sort of problem?

Could be a sticking starter solenoid/relay as well.

Cheers guys, think I'll be popping the starter off next weekend and cleaning all the earths up and checking it out - though I might have to have a spare on standby! Are all the 02A cable change box starters the same?

sounds like its mucky to me, the bendix isnt returning on the spring or not getting the correct throw to the starter ring