Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

a heap of questions for you cnuts

okay, I'll even number these ones up for you:

1. Why are there two fuel pumps on the g60? Would it not be enough with one?

2. Why would you need a new chip when you fit a new pulley? How would a car with a smaller (i.e. 68mm) pulley work with an original chip?

3. How much hassle is it to fit a new-style dash and door cards to my '89 g60?

4. I've heard that my really early g60 didn't produce the 160 bhp stated. What were the differences, mechanically, and are they easily fixable?

5. What, except the sheer volume, differs the 1.8l 16v and 2.0l 16v engines? Are they a better starting point for big power than the g60 engine?

6. I've noticed that some c's have a kind of "curled" lip on the under-dash shelves. Why? When were they delivered like this?

Cheers, Kris

Oh, and sorry for asking all these questions, but I know you don't got anything better to do anyways, so I might as well entertain you all with some stupid questions to answer :)

1. Why are there two fuel pumps on the g60? Would it not be enough with one?

Only two on the early models - lates have one!

2. Why would you need a new chip when you fit a new pulley? How would a car with a smaller (i.e. 68mm) pulley work with an original chip?

68mm I believe will be fine with an standard chip, but if you make more mods like bore out the charger, fit bigger injectors and beyond you will need a new chip. A custom map will always make best improvements though! Ask g-man for a more definative answer!

3. How much hassle is it to fit a new-style dash and door cards to my '89 g60?

Depends on how much you buy them for!!!!! Fitting is mot that hard just time consuming!

4. I've heard that my really early g60 didn't produce the 160 bhp stated. What were the differences, mechanically, and are they easily fixable?

Not heard of any difference between early and late. I think any differences are minor and shouldn't affect power - speak to g-man for a more definative answer!

5. What, except the sheer volume, differs the 1.8l 16v and 2.0l 16v engines? Are they a better starting point for big power than the g60 engine?

Definatly not a better starting point. At tops (without a turbo) you'll get I think 160-170bhp form a 16v I think (don's helmet awaiting barrage of abuse!!!!!) I'm currently aiming to achieve somewhere near or over 300bhp on my G60. But then I've spent far far far too much on mine!

6. I've noticed that some c's have a kind of "curled" lip on the under-dash shelves. Why? When were they delivered like this?

????? Pass ????

I'm currently aiming to achieve somewhere near or over 300bhp on my G60. But then I've spent far far far too much on mine!

:notworthy:

2.0L 16V can produce up to 200 BHP with a lot of work e.g headwork, manifold, throttlebody, cams, induction kit and rechip etc. But this is more easily attainable if you use the 16V out of the MK3 Golf or Passat as they are 150BHP to start with and not 136BHP as was in the Corrado.

You know when I read the title of this I thought how rude! I keep trying to drag my mind out of the gutter but my body just keeps going back for more.

haha lol pal :)

Ey, why wouldn't an engine with twice the valves and a bigger displacement be easier to get big bhp from? And if I'd bought one of these engines, wouldn't it be alright to add a charger to them?

vr6storm, sounds like it. Found a pic of them between all my filthy ones, see below.

Blue_Joe, how the heck do you get that amount of power from the g60 engine? (oh, secret question: what are the different engine codes for the rado engines (i.e. aaa, pg etc)? I've forgotten what goes where)

If you add a turbo or supercharger to create a 16VG60 then you can start to get big power. However I personally stuck with the 8v as bigger torque gains can be made and power is from torque not bhp!

And how do I get that much from a G60 - read my gallery pages!

Mines a '90 16v and ive got a lip on all of my shelves - never seen a C without them to be honest

Mines a '90 16v and ive got a lip on all of my shelves - never seen a C without them to be honest

The lip he was asking about is the 'knee bar' that the US-spec Cs had, as per his pic.

All the Cs with shelves have a curled lip to the edge of the shelf tho.

The lip he was asking about is the 'knee bar' that the US-spec Cs had, as per his pic.

Aaah , my mistake - manged to miss the huge pic on the page!