Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Broken headlight switch = FIRE!!!!!!!!

My dash lights(speedo, water, revs etc) are always on when my iginition is on, which means that for some reason the illumination is wired up to the iginiton live rather then the dimmer switch, strange!

but when i move the dimmer switch, with the ignition on, it dims the actualy GREEN LED around the light icon on the switch.

If i move the dimmer with the lights switch on to either dim or main beem, it doesnt do anything at all to any lights?

Has anybody any idea where i might be best to start looking?

Dash out? check relays? fuses? wiring?

Thanks if anyone can help!

Neil

Have you got modded clocks? Reason I ask is if theyve been reversed then the light is needed all the time in order to read the mileage and MFA.

If not then .................?????

not as far as i know, i've only had the car for about 5 months now, not had the dash out myself but the little covers for the screws are missing so i'm guessing its been out sometime in its life?

I'm hoping to check if any wires have been hacked or anything.

But if anyone has any ideas, im open to offers!

ok UPDATE!

After trying a mk2 golf switch, didnt work as it didnt have the dimmer connections on it,

This is the switch i tried...

1c_1_b.JPG

Mk2 golf switch on the right corrado one on the left...

DSC00339.JPG

And on my switch currently in the car i noticed a hole where there was a connector and NO wire? (the one cirlced in red)

Should this space have a wire in it?

DSC00340.JPG

DSC00341.JPG

i thought id try my light switch NOT in the dash, and i realised my car could of caught fire at any time!

As you watch the video, you can see me moving the dimmer switch up and down, as it gets towards the top(you can see it) it then HEATS up the dimmer copper wire on the unit!

If i put the switch all the way up to top it then Puts the dash lights on, (without the keys in the igintion)

Video here.....

http://www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/light.avi

Please let me know what you guys think, OBVIOUSLY ill be getting a new switch, but will this cure my dash/lights problems?

Neil

will that be the problem, that missing wire? should there be one there?

How easy are they to replace?

will that be the problem, that missing wire? should there be one there?

How easy are they to replace?

just checked on my car and that wire is meant to be missing

Neil, just looked at the video there and the backlight on the LCD Panel which reads the milage etc looks blue? Am I right? It should be green if not modded.

Neil, just looked at the video there and the backlight on the LCD Panel which reads the milage etc looks blue? Am I right? It should be green if not modded.

I knwo it looks blue, it is green inside the car, ill take the dash out during the week, might even try the LCD change colour mod, but not untill i get a new switch!