Sign in to follow this  
DaveVR6

Price Advice.

Just dropped my VR at the stealers to have a look at a noise coming from the rear wheel, which they quoted me 170 for doing both rear wheel barings.

But also, they say that they recon the coolant housing seal on the head has gone which will cost be about 170.

And!.. the clutch bearing is going, which is going to cost me 350-ish.

Do these prices sound reasonable? Or am I beat going to a VW speicalist or another garage?

Thats about right for dealer prices but yeah, get it done elsewhere!

Worth getting the rear discs and pads changing at the same time if they are worn...

The prices sound awful, rear bearings are sub £20 each and take no more than an hour to do both, depends if they're quoting you for new discs and pads too. That could add up.

Coolant wise, are you losing any? If not then they're having a laugh. Even so its not a big job, I changed my housing earlier in the year, cost £25 from VW, about an hour and a half to fit.

Clutch bearing, have you noticed any noise that disappears when stationary if you press the clutch in? Thing is if you replacing a clutch bearing you get into timing chain territory, have yours been done? How many miles? I wouldn't bther doing a clutch bearing without chainging timing chains/tensioners whilst at it. Get a 2nd opinion for sure mate.

Many thanks for your input guys

Andy, yea the clutch problem is exactly as you describe, ive been living with it for about 4 months.

The prices sound awful, rear bearings are sub £20 each and take no more than an hour to do both, depends if they're quoting you for new discs and pads too. That could add up.

that depends if the caliper bolts are seized,if they are it can take much more than an hour

that depends if the caliper bolts are seized,if they are it can take much more than an hour

very true, had this prob on mine hour job that took 2 days. :mad:

and if you don't have the oe press to put the bearings in your new brake disks, it'll take several hours of hammering with a soft metal tube to get the fecker in.

I think my friend paid £10 for each of his rear disks and another £5 for each side for pads. Not OE, but stuff like that is getting worn anyways. I guess you could invest in some grooved disks and green stuff pads if you're rich. Get it fitted by a corrado guru for a case of stella or whatever ;)

Neither of these, except the clutch thing, sounded that difficult either. I'm sure you could do it yourself, if you just dare.

It's no shame to not dare. I do not dare to touch my car with a screwdriver outside the interior (ice and all), and even that is pretty scary.

and if you don't have the oe press to put the bearings in your new brake disks, it'll take several hours of hammering with a soft metal tube to get the fecker in.

Eh? - they just drop in no probs - use a socket if necessary...

It's the fronts into the hubs that need a press...

you still need to press the outer races in steve..

Yeah but you can do that with a vice and a socket if your careful. Luckily a mate of mine turned up a tool on a lathe for me, which was nice 8)

Daz - I pushed mine in by hand (using a bit of mdf) - genuine discs and bearings!