Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

very low fuel consumption figures....

I've had my C for about 3 weeks now, and i'm starting to get a bit worried about the fuel i'm using! The trip computer is working it out at about 10mpg and often lower! I'm not thrashing it about so i dont understand why its so low. Anyone got any ideas? Its just been serviced and they didnt spot anything...

you sure its not a vr6 under the bonnet.. :lol: ,10mpg must be something wrong with the mfa,does the fuel gauge go down quick as well?

If you are getting around 250/300 miles from a tank of juice (depending on your use of the loud pedal), then its running ok and the MFA is just playing up.

you sure its not a vr6 under the bonnet

hehe, i wish! :lol:

If you are getting around 250/300 miles from a tank of juice

yeah i'm getting about that...you're right it doesnt tally up! I've also had it go mad and say 99.9mpg, which was quite a suprise! Dont think the MFA has been messed with (checked when i bought it) because its got a full VAG service history which confirms the milage.

Sounds like its fine then, must be just a sensor somewhere not working to screw up the MFA readings... I'm not sure which ones affect it apart from the speedo of course and the petrol gauge, which I assume are both fine??

Check your black vacuum hose that goes from the inlet manifold to the back of the instrument cluster if the is a leak there then you will get incorrect mfa readings

I'm not sure which ones affect it apart from the speedo of course and the petrol gauge, which I assume are both fine??

seem to be, its costing me about 40quid to fill it up when the guage is showing empty, which sounds about right...as for the speedo, doing 126 in a traffic jam is about normal isnt it? :lol: nah, as far as i can tell it showing the right figures too.

Check your black vacuum hose

Good tip, i'll have a look at that...how can i tell if its leeking then? (mechanical newbie!)

Do the numbers for a couple of tanks of gas, run it from top to bottom of the tank and zero the MFA when you do. A couple of tanks worth will give you true readings.

Did this to mine (1.8 16v) and the MFA tends to read about 25-27 when in reality is is returning about 30-32.

I tend to assume about 300 miles on a tank.

Not wanting to teach to suck eggs but.....

Miles Covered From Refuel / (Litres put in when next refuel / 4.454)