Sign in to follow this  
flusted

16v Tuning guide?

Im thinking of writing a 16v tuning guide with pics tommorrow,showing differences in cams,manifolds etc,as i have nothing to do.

Shall i bother?

If i do,and people want to add to it,they can post on it and il edit the guide?

What do you think?

Id be interested in that. Not sure id be able to add anything though :lol: :oops:

Good Call!

Plus people can add their experiece and specs to help others

id be interested to read what you know about cams and stuff. still a relative beginner to cams. also what you found about the 6a. i got a full 6a too. the ignition system is of interest and so is the head and cams. i got the full underbonnet of a 6a from my mates 80 sport

Go for it Flusted, i think it would be a good addition to the 'how to' threads. Plus people could add their experiences with tuning their 16v's too.

Deffo sounds like a good idea, and it's quite often that you see threads from people asking about how to extract power from valvers.

Im thinking of writing a 16v tuning guide with pics tommorrow,showing differences in cams,manifolds etc,as i have nothing to do.

Shall i bother?

If i do,and people want to add to it,they can post on it and il edit the guide?

What do you think?

Great idea.

Let us know if there's anything I can provide flusted, I've had my valver since 1996 and a series of engine builds and modifications, I'm sure between a few of us we can provide a pretty good list of what works, what doesn't and the pros and cons of mods.

Would be good to get a concise guide together, there's plenty of info about, especially on the Club GTI forum, just no combined tuning guide.

As a start it would be good to include:

1.8's

1.9's

2.0's

2.1's

headwork

cams

manifolds

ignition/fuelling options

exhausts

air filters

flywheels

David.

Ok will do! do you i just make 1 big post with loadsa pics? Got pics for different size inlets,ported throttlebodies,diffences in 9a and kr cams etc

Big thread would be good followed by a document compiled from the results of the thread to add to the knowledge base....possibly?

great idea....

will save me trawling through the search for some ideas on how to get some more horses out my valver.... :D

look forward to reading it...

ok ive nearly done it! il start a new topic tommorrow when its finished and il add pics to it at a later dtae

ok ive nearly done it! il start a new topic tommorrow when its finished and il add pics to it at a later dtae

Fair does, you did that pretty sharpish, I know you said you were bored, but..... :wink:

@Flusted, Shrick cams and cat cams are good cams to use. The shrick cams were used in the original BRM cars and pull from about 2k with an increase in performance from the 3.5k mark again. Cat Cams will make you any spec cam you want and they are propper cams used in motorsport.

Also there are 3 types of heads to use and later kr heads or abf are supposed to flow best due to bigger in head ports.

Also JD engineering do a "Big Valve" ABF head, but it costs :lol:

I have an ABF block in my car and i have not had any issues with hitting things, but thats due to the later bonnet and would not fit with an early one.

The use of Digifant 3 from the abf cars is also worth consideration, as you can chip this and you should get a nice power increase.

Also can someone put up info on the ingnition timing, icant remember it or find it.

Overall, a good start, i didnt post in that thread because its best if you look after it and it can be used as a point of referance.

Good work though!

what do you think about complete ABF swap for corrado 16v (9a) ? i think this is the easiest swap for 16v 9a ?

yeah it is, thats whats is in my previously 9A engined corrado now.

They are generally lower milage as they were in the toledo's and ibiza cupra's too.