Sign in to follow this  
J1MMY

FK konigs vs other suspension setups

posting on behalf of a mate whos just entered the rollercoaster world of 'raddo ownership 8)

he's considering Fk konigsport being damping adjustable, i am running highsports on my VR and find them to be a little bit underdamped (sp?)

my question is, are konigs worth the extra for the dampening or would a good spring/shock combo be better?

your suggestions as appreciated as usual :)

I have run both FK kongisport coilovers and Koni TA's with H&R springs on my 16v.

I did find the coilovers to be a very hard and crashy ride at all ride heights but I do find the TA's with H&R's to be a much better set-up.

Best advise is to get your mate to try cars with both types of set-up to see which he prefers; but be aware that some cars have had fresh rubber suspension componets by now so will feel tighter.

I went with the Koni Coilover kit, and cant complain at all as the dampening is adjustable as well as the ride height. I just stiffened mine up at the weekend but I think I may have gone a little to far as it rides more like a jack hammer now.

Although the roads near me are a little on the uneven side.

isn't it odd........

haven't we recently had one person saying the konigsports are too soft, and now someone else saying they are crashy?

just goes to show its all about personal opinion. you have got to try whatever you're buying before you buy it.

Suspension is subjective....:-)

Tried the konigs on a VR and a 4 pot rado and they seem better suited to the VR imo, but in both cases, not crashy or jarring at all.

Haven't tried the highsports but I'd stump up the extra for the koni dampered Konigs personally. Not sure how much they go for but Venom do them for £479 at the mo, which seems cracking value.

Yes venoms price is very good @ £445 excluding the vat.. infact its around the same price as our's at £535 delivered... :lol:

isn't it odd........

haven't we recently had one person saying the konigsports are too soft, and now someone else saying they are crashy?

Yup, that was me, finding the FK Königsports too soft on my Mk2 Storm Rocco compared to the Sachs coilovers with special springs on my Mk1. The pictures that I posted of both cars in the relevant thread also speak volumes: Depsite there almost being no gap between tyre and wheel arch on my Mk1, there's no rubbing whatsoever, whereas on my Mk2 Rocco with a measurable gap, I still rub on adverse camber roads in a tight corner.

Tempest