Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Low Speed Judder

I've heard that it might just be a characteristic of the car but when I'm crawling along, say 10-20mph, the car doesn't seem to like it. It almost feels like it does when you nearly stall a car (the learner driver juddering, back and forth). Now it's no where near at that level, but seems odd as none of my previous cars have done this. Perfectly fine when at higher revs or accelerating.

Also seems to do it if I'm in gear, say 2nd and coasting along at low speeds, almost as if I'm lightly pressing the clutch on and off, kinda hard to describe. My mates VR6 does the same.

Do the VR's not like crawling along?

The only thing I can think might help (but I'm no mechanic!) is that on my GTI-6, the clutch cables are known to dry out, which can affect the smoothness of the clutch. What are they like on these?

Clutch was replaced 15k ago.

Cheers, Andy

There's no clutch cable on a Corrado, it's all hydraulic.

If it's juddering when trundling along it has to be either suspension-borne vibration or the engine is misfiring, imho.

If it was vibration, I'd expect it to get worse with speed rather than go away though.

FWIW, my VR6 will trundle at tickover in traffic beautifully smoothly.

I suppose that sums it up. I cant let the engine tick over in traffic, it doesn't stall or seem to come close but it kind of goes back and forth as if your doing it in an engine thats not strong enough to keep it rolling under tickover.

This no real help but - I think I recognise what you are trying to describe arlandy, mine sometimes feels a bit hicuppy when the throttle is just at the opening/closing point in traffic. Think there was a thread about this some while ago and the concensus was along the lines of the eng management being slightly confused as to whether it should slow down or speed up. Decided mine wasn't severe enough to worry about, but might try and find that thread again out of interest - anyone recall it's title?

You might be referring to the basic settings on the ECU - that can cause jerkiness with on/off throttle. That's a registered VAG-COM job, or dealer diags tools. Also worth checking out that the throttle position sensor is returning sensible values and works nice and smoothly right from open to closed.

If it is cured by the basic settings, I would guess this can be caused if someone's disconnected the battery during the clutch work you had done ..

Don't think so dr_mat as I recall going through all that when I read the thread. (Incidentally, I've had my batt dissed loads of times and never had any problems with my ecu settings) I'm pretty sure the thread was exploring the various things that would affect fuel/air settings (ge maf, throttle pot etc, etc) when you're at that funny throttle on/off point. Got it in my mind we never really bottomed this one out.

Yep I'm with Chris..... some VRs just don't like farting around at off idle speeds. Mine doesn't and does what ardandy's does, always has but better engine mounts remove the drivetrain shunting when feathering the throttle at slow speeds. I've never been in a VR that's any good piddling around in traffic.... they all exhibit the same tendencies, just some worse than others and some people don't notice it.....but it's there.