Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

Should I rebuild my fully operational sunroof?

I have been working my way through a long list of bits to sort on my C, and I finally am down to 3 items one of which is to rebuild the sunroof mechanism.

I have read through all the how to guides etc, and I'm happy I can do the job without any problems.

The sunroof still slides and tilts ok, but as far as I know it has never been touched from new. I've read that when the mechanism lets go there is a good chance the outside of the sunroof will get scratched, so I am considering re-building with all the new bits because I'd rather not have to spray the sunroof.

Is it worthwhile doing this and should I replace all the items mentioned in the repair guides, or is the risk of scratching the outside very small?

Hmmm, maybe a quick service instead then.

You can do mine instead, if you're itching to do it ... Wink

Thanks for the kind offer but I'll have to leave it for the moment. :lol:

Phil, If its getting stiff, then I would if I had the chance. Pack loads of grease up the frame and on the cables.

Yeah just grease it and leave well alone!

They're a complete PITA to align and get working properly again after a rebuild, it's mm critical, which is why VW used to just replace the whole factory preset subframe when fixing them at £500 + labour.

You can do mine instead, if you're itching to do it ... ;)

Yeah and mine.

It tilts and then tilts like the Titanic!!!!! Does not slide though. Or you could brake yours then tell us how to fix ours haha.

now the big question is what grease to use!!!

You wouldn't happen to know kev would you?

I used cooper grease.. so smoooooth

I just used normal Castrol LM grease on mine, or white grease is good too.

Not thought to use copper grease, I just assumed the copper particles would prematurely wear the sliders out but it if works! :-)

Yep I would of thought white grease because of the plastic components, copper grease should only be used on metal parts subject to heat or weather (sparkplugs, nuts/bolts etc) Wonder if VW do a specific grease?

It's worth opening/closing the sunroof once a week through the cold months, keeps everything moving freely