Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

how do i know when the head gasket has had it?

As above really!

The car has literally just turned 100'000 miles, and recently had a full service at stealth. They didnt say anything about the engine.

Sometimes i get a horrible hot / burning oil smell, and have seen small amounts of it around the top end.

Any advice guys?

Cheers.

Burning oil smells on VR6s usually occur when the breather arrangement has split. Th breather vents oily fumes from the cam cover and burns them again via the air intake. The little hose/valve thing splits and drips oil onto the hot engine or exhaust manifold cover.

Mate, as I've said before, Vince really rates your car. He told me it was a proper quick one, one of the best he's driven in fact and believe me, he doesn't say anything at all about a car if it's average :-)

I'm sure he'd say if the HG was dead.

Where abouts is the oil? Sometimes VR HGs can seep oil at the pulley end but it's nothing major, it's just a slight sweat, but also bear in mind leaks coming from somewhere else will creep round dry metal by capillery action.

The rocker breather pipe is a favourite for splitting and leaking, which will cause oily smells.

Where abouts is the oil?

Gonna have another look tomorow morning, and may take a picture and post it up.

Have felt that the car seems a little underpowered compared to when i first picked it up from Stealth after that service in November.

Advice: shut up with the Corrado paranoia and just drive your bleedin car!!

Dude, im not being paranoid at all, and trust me, i drive it properly. Just dont want to be driving it hard if theres potentially a chance of wrecking something and ending up with a huge bill. Have been there too many times in the past.

VR6s are notorious for a tiny bit of oil seepage around the outside of the head gasket. And that's from middle age- 50k miles+. Just keep an eye on the oil levels and enjoy it. Some people have real reasons for thinking their car is knackered! ;)

Bash VAG-COM on it if you've got it. Might be something up sensory wise.

My car always feels feckin brilliant after Vince has played with it, so not sure what's up there.