Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Expected power with these mods to a VR6 ?

Hey all,

What would be the expected power with these mods to a MK3 VR6 which a friend is currently building ? He wants some idea of what he can expect after all this work is carried out so I said I would ask.

2.9 Corrado lump bored out to 3.1L

Schrick manifold

Schrick cams

6-branch manifold

large-bore throttlebody

straight-thru exhaust

Z-Engineering supercharger kit

water injection

front-mount intercooler

custom rechip

Cheers

whats the compression ratio gonna be?

if 9 to 1 im thinking about 350 max... roughly, how much psi?

that figure was with about 13 lbs of boost, if the compression ratio is low enough yo u could do 17 with a big supercharger and you would get about 400 hp =-)

I'm no expert on VR6 engines but I think it would be a little more than 300BHP ??

A standard capacity VR6 with chip, induction kit and exhaust with charger will give 280+BHP ?? A bare 3.1L VR6 will give 230+BHP so even with just a charger on this it is bound to be over 300BHP from just this addition alone.

I think he is lowering the compression ratio as well somehow, can't remember how he said he was doing it tho'

Doesn't sound dissimilar to Guy's spec and he got a very respectable 313BHP out of his and he was quite happy with that figure..

Not really a case of being happy with a certain figure, more like I feel the engine has far more potential to make more power with such a big spec as he is planning, I don't think 313BHP is that much power tbh for a supercharged 3.1L VR6 with front-mount, water-injection and all the other associated bits.

Cheers

Well that was the product of many hours work of Stealth and AmD - both they and the owner (Guy) were pretty happy with that figure!

A built 3.1 will do about 190 wheel horsepower.

A stock engine with a 6psi Z charger will do about 240 wheel horsepower.

You should get about 260 ish to the front wheels. So that's about 300 at the brake.

I'd say 300bhp or so is about right - remember the VR was never designed to take a lot of boost and the ZF et al chargers only give a low boost pressure.

But as potatonet says, if you want to get silly cast iron and forged bits will let you cram more boost in...

there aren't many charged VR6's about putting out a proven 300bhp.

but those that do seem to have most or all ofthe mods listed in the first post!

Thing is, if you're going to do that much work, why not turbo it, in fact, why not turbo a 24v for the same sort of money and laugh your arse off with 500bhp instead.

turbo VR6 engines have ..... very low torque, if they are bi turbo then they are ok....

but I mean really... who in their right mind like pushing on the gas and waiting?

do what I do, put an AMG supercharger on ure car 1.35L per revolution, it makes the VF engineering supercharger look like a wind toy.

just think, all you have to do is make a bracket, as long as the rib spacing on the VR6 belt is the same as the G60's then you can do it no problem, there are only 2 kinds of spacings that I know of so its a good chance that they are the same.

someone i know has a mk3 supercharged VR6 racer with loads of bits on (only 3ltr) and that puts out nearly 350bhp, he used to take it racing around goodwood race track and beat a lot of other stuff, like jaguar XKR's that were all tuned up, he's breaking it now, so he can buy a new Mk5 racer for the volkswagen cup, ill see if anythings still available if you want ?

Tartan gadge, I think if you look you will find that 280bhp+ from a standard supercharged vr is pub talk.

Look at what Mr haywire has had to do to his: stage 2 loads of faffing about and he is currently putting out 285bhp.

So I stand by my 300ish bhp.

Not really a case of being happy with a certain figure, more like I feel the engine has far more potential to make more power with such a big spec as he is planning, I don't think 313BHP is that much power tbh for a supercharged 3.1L VR6 with front-mount, water-injection and all the other associated bits.

Cheers

Guy's is 3.0 and water injected only (well it was last time I saw it at inters).

You can take a VR6 out to what ever power you want. It's all determined by budget and using the right kit.

And welcome to the world of expectations and reality, too. Adding a bunch of bits to an engine doesn't always give the desired results. The American power figures are somewhat misleading. They have better ECUs on their cars, better gas (ignore their RON numbers, they use PON which is different to our RON) and access to far more parts than us.

http://www.schimmelperformance.com for example is how it should be done imo. Proper engineering.

As I said in my original post, this is not for me, it's for my mate who is building a MK3 SC VR6.

Mods to Guy's engine, according to the Golf magazine article, pages 28-32, September 2004:

Overbored 3.0VR6 ABV engine

K+N induction kit

Vortech VF9SQ supercharger with 13 psi pulley

Schrick VSR inlet manifold

AMD big-bore throttlebody

Aquamist water injection

Schrick 248 deg. cams

Bosch uprated fuel pump

Porsche 944 high-flow injectors

JE oversized forged pistons

Geoff Everett custom remap

Magnex exhaust system inc. decat